Posted: Jul 19th 2008 9:57PM (Unverified) said

It's funny, I got into EVE (after warcraft), and while capable and able to grind and level, the all-or-nothing PVP turned me off after about a year of casual play. EVE's a beautiful place, but dang, you can't just 'chill' if you want to. With all the stories about great wars and factions and this and that, I'd just as soon use my consoles for when I'm in the mood to slash and be slashed.

If there's a PVE option introduced, CCG gets all my monies again.

Posted: Jul 20th 2008 9:10AM (Unverified) said

You can spend most if not all of you time in EVE without having to experience PvP. I say most, because it can happen since EVE is a sandbox MMO where anything is possible.

Then again, if you're part of an industrial corp as I am, you mostly deal with mining, hauling, manufacturing and selling.

It's mostly up to you how you want to experience the game.

CK

Posted: Jul 21st 2008 10:52AM (Unverified) said

Eric, there are some PvE options in the game:

Combat PvE -- mission running, ratting in asteroid belts, static complexes (many of which are low level, you can run them in a frigate or cruiser). All of these are relatively 'safe' if you're careful about what you're doing. (checking www.eve-survival.org for mission information before you jump in is a good idea)

Trading is another viable non-combat activity. I'm a novice but turned some nice profits when I gave it a shot.

And of course as CK said, industry/manufacturing is the lifeblood of EVE. Or maybe it's combat that fuels industry... not quite sure, it's cyclical.

Posted: Jul 20th 2008 3:50AM (Unverified) said

Eve is the only MMO I know where paranoia is actually a good trait to have. Even in Empire space you have to be awara of people trying to snare you so that they can then destroy you. Unlike WoW where death is just a simple run back to your body, destruction in Eve is the tangible loss of time and effort because you essentially lose everything. It is quite intimidating to many first time players. I, myself, can only play Eve for a few hours at a time because I get tired of constantly looking over my shoulder.

Posted: Jul 20th 2008 9:11AM (Unverified) said

I'm right behind you mate!

Posted: Jul 20th 2008 4:14PM (Unverified) said

"Negative aspects"? Everything listed except the lack of in-world avatar is extremely positive from my point of view.

Posted: Jul 21st 2008 10:28AM (Unverified) said

Well the avatar thing should be resolved pretty soon. ;)

Ambulation at Fanfest 2008.

Posted: Jul 21st 2008 1:43PM (Unverified) said

It definitely helps if you have friends who are established EVE players. One friend of mine (from Second Life, actually) basically introduced our entire "circle" to EVE, getting us into the corp she was a member of and providing us with what we needed to start becoming successful at the game. When we later broke with that corp and founded our own, we resolved to do much the same thing, and we're doing it as best we can for our members. We stay out of PvP situations, but we train and practice for the day when that may no longer be the case. Meantime, we mine, build, sell, run missions, and enjoy hanging out together.

Yes, the game is complicated; I've compared it to learning to fly a 747. But it's richly rewarding for those that take the time to understand it.

EVE Evolved: EVE Online vs. Elite: Dangerous