Posted: Jul 18th 2008 8:24AM (Unverified) said

AoC's gathering quests can be mind numbing and frustrating but the 3 zones containing PvE guild cities are packed with nodes and I got most of my rare resources within 2 loops of the zone. The nodes "recharge" quickly and will be full by the time you get to it again. Despite this annoyance, the crafting advancement is much better than WoW and LOTRO's "make 30 useless items to be able to make 30 more useless items" form of advancement. There are 6 tiers of crafting available at 40, 50, 60, 70, 75, and 80 and all it takes to complete the tier and access the next is a couple quests that tell you make a few items from that tier as well as the appropriate level.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 8:32AM (Unverified) said

When is resource gathering fun? Hmm.. for me that'd be.. pretty much never ><

An interesting crafting system can make it more bearable, but the actual gathering will never get much love from me. Even less so when I have to compete with the rest of the world for the same nodes.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 8:46AM (Unverified) said

There is no other game that captivated me that much from the ressource gathering perspective.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 10:34AM (Unverified) said

The standard way of getting through some boring task is to make a social event out of it.
Throughout the centuries most work has always been terribly boring, put people talked and sang to pass the time while they worked the fields or whatever. :)

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 11:10AM Skellybob said

The social event in Purple Lotus Swamp tends to be 'getting your head cut off while you weren't looking'. That's what you get for picking a RPvP server, I suppose. :)

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 9:58AM (Unverified) said

"do you enjoy resource gathering, in AoC or any other game? Do you go fishing in LoTRO, or in WoW for that matter? What mechanics make it fun?"

Well in general I don't find it fun unless your questing at the same time. Playing support class roles I found fishing in WoW/LoTRO to be good when wiating for groups, or to collect materials for buff foods, however thats more out of necessity rather than fun.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 10:13AM 18Rabbit said

Star Wars Galaxies original system is the only resource gathering system I can think of that didn't bore me to tears. I still thought it was crap that it would magically shift randomly from uber good spot to barren wasteland but it beat clicking on a rock 30 times in a row.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 10:20AM (Unverified) said

The only resource gathering activity that I didn't mind was Fishing in WoW. From what I remember, you choose your own bait/lure and pole depending on what you are going after, find a nice shady spot to cast (that didn't actually matter but *I* always looked for the "perfect spot" ;-) watch your float and attempt to set the hook when you get a strike. You could even craft your own lures and poles were quest rewards too.

That's much better than selecting a node, click once, wait for the progress bar to finish and pray you get a rare!

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 10:38AM (Unverified) said

The games that had the best resource gathering and crafting system in my opinion are the original SWG, Ryzom and especially Kemet - A tale in the desert.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 11:36AM Vager said

I enjoyed Ultima Online's gathering alot. I could spend hours mining a full cave of nodes instead of one randomly placed node. It's just a matter of finding another cave if you clear that other cave out, which can take a few hours to empty it of ore.

I played a bit of SWG and I liked gathering also, EvE has good gathering too. I guess I like gathering where you spend most of your time accually gathering resources then searching for them. Plus the fact that crafting with it is actually useful unlike WoW.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 12:14PM (Unverified) said

Resource gathering in The Matrix Online (Data Mining, as it's officially known) is actually really fun. In the game's early days, Data Mining was pretty much pointless. It yielded experience and game currency, but the payout was pathetic. To see someone with the "Data Miner" tag was actually a game-wide joke in those days.

Nowadays, Data Mining yields some heavy duty enemy spawns that drop the resources necessary to craft some rare and powerful gear. Some of the spawns can be solo'd, but the worthwhile ones require a team. And the spawns are on a timer, so if you want to reap the rewards you need to work fast. It's insanely fun when done correctly.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 12:17PM Ergonomic Cat said

"In my opinion, Star Wars Galaxies was the ultimate ressource gathering experience."

QFMFT.

UO was good too.

I don't like resource gathering. At all. That being said, I understand that it needs to be a chore, in order to create a value on the items, and I appreciate the end result.

I find that *focusing* on gathering sucks. As Vrain said, if you're incidentally doing it, it's not so bad.

Gathering quests are annoying, no matter what.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 12:44PM (Unverified) said

I like AoC, but the gathering SUCKS. I think their use of resource zones is interesting though...

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 8:42PM Itoao said

I would have to say for me Vanguard was great. The fact that you could harvest node in a group made it so much cooler. You would get rare items and more of a yield the more ppl you had in the group harvesting the same node. Also SWG the crafting system and gathering system was really cool.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 5:23PM (Unverified) said

Star Wars Galaxies is one of the only MMOs to ever do resource gathering right. Artisans could survey and sample resources at a given site if they just needed a little, but for more permanent structure could be set up, directed to gather a certain resource, then left to run on its own. You still had to revisit it to gather resources when its hopper filled up, but it really was the way to go about it. Even crafting could be automated in this way, with factories. Similar provisions could be made in a fantasy setting in the form of mining camps and hiring artisans in workshops.

Posted: Jul 19th 2008 12:49AM AKinferno said

I have played quite a few different MMOs. I think the SWG by far was the best. The only tedium was finding a location. Once you did, you set the harvester and go adventuring. Come back later, throw in power, clear the hopper and you were set. You could also macro your toon to harvest if you couldn't afford a harvester.

Vanguard it was basically a faster way of doing it the same crappy way. It was an improvement from the way other fantasy MMOs handle it, but still sucked.

btw, how does SWG do it now? I quit about the time the first player-city starport was created. My guild had the first one on our planet in wanderhome, but I stopped playing a day or two after seeing it.

Posted: Jul 19th 2008 1:23AM Jeromai said

AoC's main problem with resource-gathering was relying on the old random chance = 'rare' model.

Same lottery mechanic and just as frustrating as trying to get some hoof or intestine from a boar. Not being able to predict the end point, and experiencing total failure repeatedly (unlike a jackpot machine that will tempt you with 'oh...almost' arrangements) = exercise in hair-pulling hopeless frustration.

That, and most of the crafting recipe/quests were initially bug-ridden, took up space in quest log, and didn't lead to very useful products.

Everything else was actually quite fun. I liked the idea of a dedicated resource zone, along with resources to be harvested in regular zones.

I found that having to spot the resources visually and add your own resource waypoints to the map created a sort of 'exploration' minigame. Waypoints were also sharable with others by copying some files, adding a social benefit - though they've happily eliminated all that in favor of automatically marked resources now. Adds convenience, I guess.

I liked the random mob attack now and then (though the regularity could get annoying) so you couldn't just automatically click and walk away for half an hour. Discourages botting.

I liked the node regeneration, though the rate could stand to be tweaked a little. Seems more realistic to harvest a few times at the same node, rather than just up and disappear after one click like in LOTRO - surprised me a few days ago after being so used to AoC.

And the whole idea of crafting based on a recipe quest, and then progressing to the next tier by actually creating items and showing it off to your trainer was uber cool. No more stupid 200/400/800 progress bars.

Except they fubared it at first with quests that couldn't be dropped initially, tier 1 resources that didn't drop off ANYTHING sane, and the quest giver swallowing your items whole as payment. Fortunately, most of these are either fixed or stopgap measures are in place.

Posted: Jul 19th 2008 12:57PM (Unverified) said