Posted: Jul 17th 2008 5:31PM Wgraves said

I would agree that skill queues are a good thing but the you could just set a years worth of skills and simply produce a certain character without any of the interaction that occurs when you make that skill choice on a one by one basis. When you choose every step you chooses more carefully.this also keeps the number of alts dowm if you have to track all of em.

Not to mention there's always a super long skill you have available to train, for the first few months just train long skills at night or plan your skill training to end at lunch/ after work/ before bed etc.

not really broken, so i vote for no fixing.

Posted: Jul 17th 2008 6:38PM (Unverified) said

To be honest, they could just make one tiny little change that would remove much of the tyranny, especially for newer players, without making anything too easy: just change it so, once you set a skill training, it doesn't stop when it hits the next level, it just keeps ticking until it hits level 5.

i.e. you set your Small Projectile Turrets going from level 1 to 2.. it takes, what, an hour? If you don't then change it, it keeps ticking until it hits level 3, five hours later. Then level 4, a day later. Then level 5, a week later.

So if continuing with that skill isn't what you want, you log on and change it. But if you can't log on.. at least you're learning something!

Posted: Jul 17th 2008 7:43PM (Unverified) said

Ok, so that would be autopilot for skill training. Not a bad idea, but I tend to change my skill training plans frequently. Restless I suppose. So the queue isn't really such a benefit to my attention-deficit playstyle.

When I began EVE I lamented the fact that there is no queue, but at this point... kind of a non-issue for me; I have plenty of higher ranked skills to train. I'm not against a queue, but honestly I'd rather see more effort going into improving other aspects of the game.

Part of me also suspects that veteran players who are still crying out for CCP to implement this are farming legions of specialized alts to be sold on the Character Bazaar. Am I wrong?

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 6:41PM wcanyon said

I agree, this is something very simple for the devs to introduce.

Posted: Jul 21st 2008 1:13PM (Unverified) said

You know, this could be easily handled if CCP would just add a procedure call for switching skill training to the EVE API. Then the developers of EVEmon (which already has something like skill queues in the form of its training plans) could add an "auto switch" option, and that'd solve the problem without any more tedious mucking about in hyperspace.

Failing that, I've tried to organize my training so that I'm able to switch skills more frequently during the times when I'm actually online, and train longer-duration skills during the week so I don't have to worry about interrupting work. And I don't fret if I "lose" a few minutes, or even a couple of hours, here and there.

WRUP: Limited-time reunion show edition