Posted: Jul 16th 2008 9:18AM (Unverified) said

I'm not sure how much the term "MMO" means anyway. Weren't Ultima and Meridian and the likes coined to be MMORPG?

That at least had some reference to it's genre in there, but nothing in the first abbreviation actually says anything about persistence even, let alone the type of play involved.

So it's big, it has multiple players.. it might as well be an MMO. Just one step above assuring someone it's a game in specifics but..

As for MAG.. heh. Well done Sony Marketing.. Looks like that'll be the actual (working) title though, not a genre distinction, so it hasn't got much to do with the rest.

Posted: Jul 16th 2008 11:28AM (Unverified) said

With the insane success of the MMO World of Warcraft I would expect every game manufacturer to try to blur the definitions of their next product into being an MMO of some sort.

I doubt we will see any true description any time soon.

Posted: Jul 16th 2008 1:07PM koehler83 said

Very simple descriptor:

MMO = Persistent Online World.

Posted: Jul 16th 2008 1:17PM (Unverified) said

What about sports games like Freestyle Street Basketball and Project Powder, that call themselves massively multiplayer but are just chat rooms with 6-8 player matches, as well as character development and persistence? They don't seem that different from the announced Animal Crossing.

Posted: Jul 16th 2008 2:41PM Softserve said

MMO is an acronym for specific words already: massively multiplayer online.

I mean, really, did anyone consider Animal Crossing: Wild World on the DS a MMO?

This is the same concept with a few new things like an auction house tossed in. That's not going to pop it into a new genre.

Certainly this raises the amount of people I could potentially play with. But at the end of the day, I'm matchmaking with 3 other very specific people to go into what's essentially an instanced room. Does that mean Halo 3 is a MMO?

Personally I just think it's that they're both multiplayer with online capabilities. To me that's quite different.

I might be willing to agree if there was even a hub world for everyone to hang out in before we decided to split up and visit each other's neighborhoods (ala Guild Wars, in some senses). But there isn't.

I know, really, it's not the biggest deal in the world. But for the sake of argument, I really don't see how it could fit in the definition of the term.

The Stream Team: Firefall's farewell