Posted: Jul 14th 2008 4:11PM Nadril said

I viewed it as a humor article more than anything. He has several good points, but several of them he just lacks common design sense for an MMO at times. Oh well, pretty funny although I've seen these complaints so many times before.

Posted: Jul 14th 2008 5:26PM Ergonomic Cat said

Shamus is a long long term single/multiplayer gamer, just now coming to the MMO scene.

So he does lack an idea of what MMOs are like. But that's kind of a good thing. ;)

I read his blog regularly, and he's a far cry from the average WoW-hater, although I agree some of his points are either nitpicky (hence the name of the column) or things he'll eventually come to understand as the best choice (item level limits, f'r instance). He hasn't seen the dark side yet. ;)

Posted: Jul 14th 2008 5:40PM (Unverified) said

Yea the bear claw thing is definately not unique to WoW.

Posted: Jul 14th 2008 9:09PM Softserve said

The quest items thing drives me nuts and it should drive anyone nuts. I don't think forgiving it for being a MMORPG cliche is enough... In my experience, WoW is one of the worst offenders of this between the various MMORPGs I've played. Killing literally 30 lynxes for 10 lynx pelts is insane.

These games are huge time sinks with tons to do. Artificially expanding the time spent on them through these means is cheap.

Posted: Jul 14th 2008 9:55PM (Unverified) said

I agree...I hate to grind I prefer to explore new areas and do different types of quests.

Posted: Jul 14th 2008 10:05PM (Unverified) said

Shamus has been posting positive stuff about WoW for weeks. When he finally collates his nitpicks, he gets links from all over the shop.

Hopefully he's learned his lesson about being positive ;)

Posted: Jul 15th 2008 3:34AM Jeromai said

He's new to the whole MMO thing. Give him time. I'm reading his blog with amused fascination - it's like seeing ourselves some 4-8 years ago in the fresh waters of whatever multiplayer diku-like game was our poison and bumping into all the cool and uncool stuff for the first time.

I suspect he'll eventually get the hang of WoW (and grok what an MMO basically is) and start delving into the other MMOs available. Be interesting to see what he thinks of them then. Especially if he returns to Guild Wars a year or so later for another try.

Posted: Jul 15th 2008 5:23AM (Unverified) said

This has always been my favorite WoW comic dealing with just this very issue:

Posted: Jul 15th 2008 8:29AM (Unverified) said

Nice article, I like how he offered up suggestions as well as nit-pick. I really agree with his point about monster's respawning on top of you in a fight.