Posted: Jul 13th 2008 4:16PM swarmofcats said

Oh, good. Another "returning player's first impressions of the NGE" post. We need more of these. *sigh*

Stop logging in and let this poor thing die already.

Posted: Jul 13th 2008 5:34PM Wouldzey said

I agree. SWG is dead. Let it rest in pieces

Posted: Jul 13th 2008 5:13PM (Unverified) said

As a player in pretty much the same position as you, I found this interesting. On a side note, it's really annoying when the links on your pictures just go to a tag... can't we have them going to a picture where we can see what exactly is going on? I would like to see that class options screen, for instance.

Posted: Jul 13th 2008 5:52PM (Unverified) said

Steve, if you click onto the Gallery attached to the post, one of the pictures in there is a screenshot of the Class Selection screen.

Posted: Jul 13th 2008 8:12PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Jul 13th 2008 8:23PM Scopique said

@Royale & Owen-Lars

It's actually pretty important to have articles like these. Contrary to your narrow PoV, what an MMO is today isn't what it was last week, 6 months ago, or 5 years ago. Yeah, SWG certainly ISN'T what it was at launch, but it's not dead, and should not be left for it.

Articles like these are interesting for those who used to play the game, but have left for one reason or another. Despite what I'm sure you think, a lot of people left for reasons which have nothing to do with hating what the game had become -- either before or after the NGE. For those people who have fond memories of SWG and wonder "what ever happened to SWG?", and who don't take stock in boilerplate, me-too statements like yours, the article has merit.

Posted: Jul 13th 2008 10:51PM Wouldzey said

A lot of people quit for reasons other than the NGE? Perhaps so. Loads of people quit after the free month, Lots quit after the CU, and practically everyone else left after the NGE.

Sure its not the same game as before. Sure SOE deserve to rot for how they treated the playerbase but forgetting that, if it was such a good game then there would be more than just scraps playing.

SWG will never recover and frankly it doesnt deserve to. SWG is already in the history books as the biggest disaster to an mmo and SOE as a blind, incompetent and ruthless developer. Hopefully that never changes, we are better off without companies like that.

But anyway, back on topic..... i suppose people will always try to find ways to polish crap. But they never succeed. Oh well.

Posted: Jul 14th 2008 9:51AM (Unverified) said

SOE made a really horrible decision with the NGE.

But although I'm still bitter about it, I really think they learned a lesson and have seriously tried to change their corporate culture.

Witness the excellent job they've done carefully polishing EQ2.
Witness the yeoman's work they've done saving Vanguard.

I'll never forgive what they did to SWG and its community, but that was then, and this is now. I'm not blind to their current efforts.

Posted: Jul 14th 2008 11:31AM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the article. I had been trying to decide between LOTRO and SWG as a WoW replacement (it seems I can't live without an MMO).

I ended up choosing LOTRO last week and am enjoying myself but these articles are a big help to those of us intrigued by alternative* MMOs.

*Alternative = anything other than WoW

Posted: Jul 14th 2008 4:24PM (Unverified) said

The game is a fun game if you enjoy MMOs. It will provide you with something to play for a little while, which is more than some MMOs can say.

Posted: Jul 16th 2008 3:27AM (Unverified) said

I'm hearing rumors of a Hoth system publish for SWG. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Posted: Jul 20th 2008 9:02AM (Unverified) said

Yes, they are adding a Hoth instance as well as another trader update following up the weaponsmith update that is coming in gu5 (which blows looted weapons outta the water)Weaponsmiths can now craft weapons that can easily destroy any looted ones, I think the dev's are doing a good job with this game. Its getting better and better every update. I agree professions need more depth. 9 prof's are kinda boring seeing as ive played each one already. Id like to see more diversity between players, then having 10 jedi or BH with the same exact builds. they are also planing another expansion in the near future aswell. Buckle up SWG is in for a long ride ;)