Posted: Jul 11th 2008 8:07AM (Unverified) said

Turbine from 1999

zing

Posted: Jul 11th 2008 9:06AM (Unverified) said

As far as current MMO developers go, Raph Koster for sure.

As for the rest of the gaming industry...how about a Harvest Moon MMO? I don't think they have the capital to undertake such a transformation, but it would be very fun!

Posted: Jul 11th 2008 9:36AM (Unverified) said

Oh, I really like that idea! Although I highly doubt a farming MMO would interest too many people. Maybe if they went with the Rune Factory concept?

Posted: Jul 11th 2008 9:55AM (Unverified) said

Please someone build a mainstream MMO where gearing up isn't an integral aspect of statistical domination (I don't mind necklaces, rings, etc. being exempt from the point I'm trying to make).

Sure, equipment like armor should of course have a defensive rating, and weapons should have attack power. However, something like DPS should be an aspect of my character's ability with a certain weapon type, not the weapon itself. Let me decide what stat boosts to add to my character (even if I have to do high lvl missions or something of that sort to unlock things like Ice/Fire damage for my weapons).

That somewhat pointless rant aside, I of course think Valve + Steam + MMO = Success. However, Valve's penchant for quality would likely mean that even if they've already been working on an MMO for the last five years behind closed doors, we probably wouldn't be able to play it for another five. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but imagine how slow they'd be to be new content patches, update packs, and expansions out the door.

A GTA MMO from Rockstar could potentially be the best thing ever. But... once all the praise for GTA IV died down, it was easy to see several flaws in that game (like the hundreds of thousands of useless dollars I earned doing missions) that make me question whether or not they could pull off an MMO. Also, it would probably be a console MMO.

My dream MMO would be for Id to make an MMO set in the post-apocalyptic, demon infested setting of Doom II where you play as a survivor scavenging for armor/weapons/demonic magic power. Not only do you have the entire Earth as a setting, you also have multiple moon bases, Mars, and Hell. I realize Hellgate kind of has this vibe but I haven't played it so I can't comment on if it is a lot like I just described a Doom II MMO should be.

Posted: Jul 11th 2008 12:31PM Edawan said

My dream developper is already making an MMO.

Bioware, I'm waiting !