Posted: Jul 11th 2008 11:51AM (Unverified) said

Good writeup on EVE. I played when it launched in '03 for a few weeks, never really got into the social/economic side of the game - I think I took the shallow WoW approach at the time. Think it might be time to give this one a second look thanks to this post.

Posted: Jul 18th 2008 9:13AM (Unverified) said

Could you please say which titles you play that are a rip off of WoW?
Just curious, for i find no game whatsoever that could be labeled as such.
Perhaps what you probably meant was "played less polished than wow rip offs of everquest". :)
Nevertheless, which games you feel nowadays are rip offs of WoW?

Posted: Jul 11th 2008 2:47PM (Unverified) said

Only mind-numbing ennui could make EVE seem like a good time.

Posted: Jul 12th 2008 2:35AM (Unverified) said

i have played my free trial twice... its just not fun in the beginning. its just not fun. i dream of becoming a millionaire bounty hunter or whatever... but. not fun.

Posted: Jul 12th 2008 10:40AM (Unverified) said

I played Eve for nearly 2 years, before quitting 6 months ago. I think your correspondent is in for a nasty shock.

I agree that the learning curve for new players is harsh, but the mid-game, from about 6-12 months of play is an absolute joy, as the myriad of options and things to do opens up for you.

After that, though, at around 12-15 months, things go downhill. At that point, you can take your character into one of the big alliances and play the "real" game in lawless space, fighting massive battles with the best ships in the game, and make a fortune from mining the best minerals and killing the best mobs in the game. Fantastic, yes?

Battles in 0.0 (the "lawless space") are not determined by ships, tactics, pilots or skill. They are determined by lag. Game-wrecking, fun-destroying lag that gets worse with every patch. You warp off to the scene of a fight in your intricately set-up, tactically brilliant ship that cost you zillions of ISK to get just right, and, two minutes later, when your screen finally unfreezes, you're sitting in a station and your ship and pod are space dust somewhere. About 1/4 of the ships in every major battle die without their pilots even seeing the enemy. The art of fleet combat is now lag-management and metagaming. It's got to the extent that the big alliances will deliberately crash server nodes (by having hundreds of pilots jump in/out of a system within seconds of each other) to avoid losing key battles. Sorry, but that just isn't any fun.

And that's before you get to the corrupt relationship between the developers and some of the big alliances. I ended up fairly high-up in an alliance (albeit a smaller one) and it was really noticeable how some alliances got bugfixes and others were told to do time-consuming workarounds or just ignored. Not fun. The worst part of the imfamous T20 incident was not that the eponymous dev was corruptly giving free stuff to his friends but that the only action CCP took was to ban the whistleblower for "causing extra work for CCP!". I felt very uneasy about handing my money over to a company that could behave that way, and in the end I stopped.

Posted: Jul 12th 2008 5:02PM (Unverified) said

IMO most of what axemanjim said above is right, except perhaps with respect to the timeframes in my experience.

After 3.5 years of play the in-game politics and dirty tricks of some of the players and alliances finally got to me...

However, the first couple of years were a blast. Buzzing around exploring all the regions and learning every aspect of the game kept me very busy for quite awhile.

The anticipation of being able to finally fly that ship or use that module that I'd been training for had me hooked! But somewhere at about 40 million skillpoints, I started to get bored. Believe me, it took a LONG time for that to happen tho...lol.

PVP? The most fun are the small scraps in 0.0 space one gets into out on patrol, as fleet battles are excruciating due to the lag.

I also lament the end of "open space" exploration and settlement that was the norm in the early days before all the regions got developed, but there's still much fun to be had for the newcomers.

To those newcomers I offer a piece of advice: develop a consistent way of making isk, get your skill base firmly established whether you choose industry or combat, and get into a good corp. It will take off from there...;)

Posted: Aug 17th 2008 8:40AM (Unverified) said

You're under no obligation to do the Big Alliance/ Fleet Battle / zomglaggg thing. It's not the automatic "endgame" or anything.