Posted: Jul 9th 2008 5:42PM Ergonomic Cat said

I expect special events, constant updates, regular patches, free new content, and responsive customer service. I tend to get 85% of those or so. ;) I also expect a higher level of quality from a monthly sub.

The MMOs I rotate through are Planetside, DDO, CoH, WoW, and SWG. CoH provides all of those to some degree, most especially the regular patches, free new content, and constant updates. It's also one of the two on the list that I play the most. WoW does 1, 2, and 3. 4, not so much (Burning Crusade would have been a free update on CoH), and 5 to varying degrees. PS has none of those, but is too much fun for me not to play. DDO has 1, kinda, 2, kinda, 3, kinda, 4, kinda, and 5. And I go back and forth on it - typically 1 month in 4 I'll have an active sub.

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 7:58PM Graill440 said

currently i play nothing, pay nothing, i have more important things to do than play some game with no customer support. To many steelhead needing to be fished out anyways.

In any game customer service is paramount. Take AOC for example, they have no customer support, none, ingame or out and i defy anyone to challenge me on this. look up customer service in any number of succesfull companies, you will see things like timely help, knowledgeable help, etc.

As in my example, if i pay a monthly fee, first and formost customer service had better be really tight or i will go elsewhere, regardless of "how good the game is".

some folks just hang on, hoping the service will improve and let their money be sucked into a deep hole.

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 8:15PM (Unverified) said

It's been a long time since I've paid a monthly fee. There are so many free online games with ads or micro-transactions that I can't imagine what would make me pay a subscription again.

Posted: Jul 10th 2008 9:23PM (Unverified) said

I'm always amazed at how people protest against monthly subs. I spend more on single player games when I'm not in an MMO than I ever do in subs. Even an older PC game is $20-$30 and you get maybe, maybe, a month's play out of them.

To answer the main question, I expect a good story, great gameplay, constant questing, a decent chat system, easy grouping, and an enjoyable crafting system. I've played F2P games and never found them satisfying. I'd rather pay the sub.

Posted: Jul 11th 2008 8:12AM (Unverified) said

$15/month .. I only allow myself one paid MMO at a time.

The Daily Grind: Do you suck at MMOs?

Posted on Jul 25th 2014 8:00AM