Posted: Jul 9th 2008 3:04PM (Unverified) said

I played with it a bit, mostly to make sure my name was in the system, and your accessment ir right on the money. I would think more a competitor for IMVU or something, not Second Life. Also seems much more aimed at a teen level market. it is not a Second Life competitor.

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 3:05PM (Unverified) said

Embeddable? The MySpace crowd will love it.

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 3:35PM (Unverified) said

Be warned: we've had a lot of reports of peoples' SL avatar names already taken, and I've seen a lot of suspicious "bot like" names in the popular rooms. Do we have domain squatters here grabbing SL names for ransom? We'll see. It is just quite odd.

There have also been a lot of reports on browser crashes, especially under Firefox. It seems to happen when Lively is under heavy load, and can't get past the "Joining Room..." stage of the plug in. It makes me love Firefox's "Restore Session" feature even more!

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 3:52PM (Unverified) said

I've heard of this too, which is why I grabbed my handle ASAP.

Posted: Jul 10th 2008 11:11AM (Unverified) said

Someone else nabbed my SL name, both with and without a dot separating the first and second names. I'm sure it's the same griefer gang that is sore that I keep busting their chops in SL. OH well, at least there does not seem to be much latitude for sim-crashing in Lively. The worst they could do is pretend to be me and make my sockpuppet make rude remarks. Anyone who knows me, knows better.

Thanks for the heads-up, Flipper!

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 3:51PM (Unverified) said

I agree that Lively isn't a SL competitor out of the box. But as with any product bearing Google's name, we can be rest assured we're only seeing the beginning.

Sure, there's no connected spaces or content creation tools yet, but the writing is on the wall - Google's entered the playground and had plans on taking over the sandbox.

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 5:01PM (Unverified) said

Actually, ILL, remember that Google is quick to retire products that utterly fail — in fact, even better than Microsoft. For instance, Google removed AdSense Referrals after having aggresively pushed it to all AdSense users as the only way to get more income. Now they've totally reverted their position and dropped the product. Sure, Orkut is still around and even allows applets, but is anyone still using it besides Brazilians? Google projects that fail disappear from the radar when the effort to support it (in costs of developer hours) is far higher than the rate of new users signed in to a particular product... Google's not different from any other company, the difference being is that they're continuously launching more new products coming from all areas.

Lively is... an experiment. It carries the power of the all-powerful Google brand. It's being pitched on the tech magazines (like Computerworld) as a tool for companies to collaborate in an immersive environment that allows easy contact with telecommuters. It's incredibly easy to embed on MySpace or Facebook. Rooms are isolated, so griefing is easily circumvented. Everything is childishly simple to use, since there are almost zero options. Put enough Google magic behind this, and it'll be a success overnight. Or perhaps it already is. For all purposes, everybody with a registered Google Account is a (potential) Lively user. That's 250 million registered users or so. Lively, in 24 hours, just became four times as big as the whole of the MMORPG/MMO/social 3D world userbase. Spend enough pushing this message/meme through the media and the blogosphere, and what do you think that the world will immediately associate with "virtual worlds"?

Is Second Life threatened by it? You bet it is. I think that Google is scared of losing the battle of the 2D Web, which they dominate. This is a very Microsoftian way to make sure their monopoly on HTML content does not disappear over time. Just push back the technology a decade and tell the world that "this is it". Second Life will be just the "in your dreams" technology for a borderline audience. And this can be sustained for ages. Look how 92% of the world still thinks that Windows is the better choice!...

As for grabbing SL names, I have no doubt that this might happen, like everywhere else, and the advise to register quickly is a very good one. I definitely did that, and like Aimee Weber and others, I've also registered the trademark Gwyneth Llewelyn® ;) because, who knows, someone out there (Microsoft?...) might be launching the next virtual world and I might not be fast enough... but my lawyers will :)

My disappointment with Lively is that it's so *bad*. Tateru is actually way too nice in her description of Lively. Try Meez to see how everything can be done so much better, with much nicer avatars, even easier to use, *interactive* content, and fully platform-neutral. Sure, it's as boring as Lively, but that's not the point: I was expecting much better from Google. Then again, since the launch of Gmail, the only exciting product from Google that really impressed me was Google Analytics...

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 5:29PM (Unverified) said

I think... after looking at it for a few minutes... that it actually IS a competitor for Second Life. Not necessarily in it's current form, but with just a small amount of extension, it could easily dominate other VR chatroom.

Obviously it needs user-created content.

Obviously it needs some sort of secure asset server, to protect the rights of creators.

Lots of other improvements needed too. But user created content is the big one.

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 5:34PM (Unverified) said

Chat with graphics. Yep it's definitely second life - except no user created content yet.

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 10:15PM (Unverified) said

I see many sex rooms, so yes it is certainly a Second Life competitor.

Seriously, though, I remember reading about this awhile back. The brains behind this want to see it go far and wide -- openly. I hope they get their chance to take it there.

Posted: Jul 10th 2008 6:50AM (Unverified) said

It's interesting that google is there now, but not so interesting what they've done with it... hang on maybe it is interesting. They've stripped all the risk factors out of their entry into virtual worlds by making it an extremely potted experience.

This is a smart move on their part as it puts them in competition with a majority of the market (which is after all just avchat) in an area where their sheer bulk will give them good leverage. They've stayed out of any of the hard stuff that heavyweight virtual worlds like SL do which would make them look bad when they inevitably screwed up as heavyweight vw's do.

Now all they have to do is find a strategy for cleaning up the sex chats. yiffers, griefers and rickrollers and they're set :P

Posted: Jul 10th 2008 8:52AM (Unverified) said

Needs flying penis'

Posted: Jul 10th 2008 3:45PM (Unverified) said

I think the term 'second life competitor' is a bit too vague to define what the risk to Second Life actually is. It is definitely a competitor for users, and will be yet another 'me too' socnet app taking a piece of the market.

It's definitely not something that's going to fire the imagination and inspire creations like Svarga.

Posted: Jul 10th 2008 3:35PM (Unverified) said

Oh its an SL killer alright. Also killed Lotus Notes, IE and a bunch of other stuff and left my machine crawling. Do yourself a favour and avoid it completely.