Posted: Jul 8th 2008 9:09AM Arkanaloth said

I was chatting about Warhammer with a friend just yesterday.. odds are he's getting it, I'm not.. from what I've seen it's going to be far too PVP-centric for my liking.

"Endgame PVE content, for example, is still something we don't know a lot about."

that one line speaks volumes.. they have been MORE than vocal on the PVP aspects of the game, but PVE.. is it even in there? is it going to feel tacked on as an afterthought? or worse.. will PVE have PVP pre-requisites... I've labeled warhammer online as a near purely PVP offering, for people into it, I'm sure it'll likely be quite good since that's their focus. I however, will be sticking with GW for a good while longer.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 7:39PM lpetersson said

From the video feeds and information it sounds like there will be plenty of end-game PVE.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 9:25AM (Unverified) said

I don't know, every month I receive an email about Warhammer that is packed with videos, pictures and information about the game so I can't say I feel like I'm not getting anything from them.

End-game PVP is where it's at and I could care less if there's any stupid PVE "raids" as most of the time they are just big, boring time-wasters. "Oh dearest me, I hope I get my new magic gloves of the unicorn this week for the 5 hours I'll be in the uber raid".

Let me fight a human opponent defending his homeland city. Now that's satisfying when I trample him under my boot.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 9:29AM Crsh said

Same thing with AoC, though; plenty of promises up until launch, plenty of disappointed players afterwards. Not saying WH:O will pull the same crap (though it wouldn't surprise me if they did), but promises are cheap and aplenty.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 7:39PM lpetersson said

@ crsh:

AoC was released well before it should've been. I was one of the players who pre-ordered it and cancelled my account shortly after launch.
It looks to me as if W:AR is going to be released when it's ready...
Or at least as ready as an MMO can get at launch...

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 9:41AM (Unverified) said

mmmm, I also feel that there is very little information on the PVE content that might create the sense that it is a PVP only game. I think to say that PVP is tacked on in WoW to the same extent that PVE will be tacked on in WAR... something to think about.

i do feel that eamythic should get rid of all their old screenshots/movies on the official page - if the game isn't butt ugly anymore then stop showing us ugly stuff ???

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 9:49AM Nadril said

@ crsh: you forget the "EA" part of "EA/Mythic". That's all.

I'm still not impressed by WAR. Basing the majority of the games PvP around boring little scenarios (read: battlegrounds) is just boring. There is no real chance of having actual good Guild wars between people, and because of a language barrier (I assume factions can't talk to each other? Correct me if I'm wrong) it won't have any guild vs guild hate that is so great in PvP.

Either way I do find it funny that the same WAR fanboys bashing AoC somehow think that, with mythic still not having a majority of cities done for the game 3 months from release, WAR will be perfect and bug-free in every way.

Ok, that's enough WAR bashing for me. However, I do want some WAR people to answer me something:

- What is the appeal of scenarios when I'm sure a lot of you bashed battlegrounds in WoW. I just don't know why a lot of hardcore PvPers love world PvP, yet WAR seems to have very little of that and an little emphasis on that. Sure, it's there but with scenarios there is really no reason to world PvP. Remember, battlegrounds killed WoW's PvP.

- Aren't you worried at all with EA? They've killed some MMOs in the past (Ultima Online and some space game I forget) and don't think that Mythic is immune. You'd be fairly dense to think that EA doesn't have a say in this game.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 11:32AM (Unverified) said

- Actually there is a ton of open world PvP (RvR), and it is supposed to be done in a way that while scenarios are available at any time you will get far more reward (exp, etc.) from open world in the same time of doing a scenario if the area you are in is active. All keep sieges and battle objectives are open world, your realm takes over zones of the opposing realm and charges to the capital city. Watch this podcast: http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/flash/pp_RvR-Changes_BR1000.html

- Well, I'm a little bit concerned but the fact is that this game wouldn't have the stuff I mentioned above if it wasn't for EA and there money. The game would have been highly scenario (battleground) based if EA didn't support adding so many new features and make sure the game had enough money and time to implement them.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 11:39AM Nadril said

"Not even a hardcore fan or anything but I am looking forward to this game. It isn't fair of you to be so negative towards people when it is obvious you don't know the facts."

That's why I'm asking about it. I'm only going off of what I have seen on massively and on their website.

Thanks for answering. I still am more of a fan of having a choice of who to kill (instead of RvR) but thanks for clarifying some of this for me.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 11:05AM (Unverified) said

War Fanboy reporting for duty SAH!

So for @Nadril

Language barriers. I haven't heard of any, and I don't know if there would be any. Yes Dwarfs and Elves (of both types) have their own languages, but they all have the access to Reikspiel or basically Warhammer English. Chaos, Empire and Orcs use it normally.
So I imagine you can get a throbbing hate-on with enemy guilds. That and with banners, they don't been to be yelling for you to know they're there and gun for them.

Bugs.
I have watched the AoC thing. I am under no illusions. If WAR has a bug free launch, it will likely suffer somewhere else. Murphy cannot be denied only delayed :P
That said, when Open beta goes on, I imagine we'll get some idea of what launch will be like.

Scenarios
Do you mean the public quests or the RvR areas apart from Open world smash? I honestly cannot respond to it as I am unsure.

EA
I played Earth and Beyond (that space game) and yes it hurt that EA cancelled it, but they never really supported it either. However, if EA is true to (supposed) form, they see the money now that can be garnered from a sucessful MMO and likely will run with WAR as much as they can.

Could EA kill Mythic and WAR? Sure they could. Will they? I think they're a little brighter than that, especially with an IP like Warhammer as opposed to Westwoods little inhouse swansong.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 11:24AM Nadril said

Thanks for answering my questions.

Refering to the scenerios I am talking about the RvR type games inside. I've read about them a lot on massively, and they just sound like a bit more of a glorified battleground to me. I.E have a 15v15 match with "X" as the objective.

And with EA, I'm sure they wouldn't cancel it. What I am getting at, however, is that EA certainly has the power to get Mythic to really rush the game -- which will no doubt cause problems. We all know that Mythic is probably shaking in their boots at the idea of having to launch so close to WoTLK, any more delays and they will lose a lot of members IMO.

I actually have signed up for the beta my self, mostly to get a better perspective on the game. However I'm just wondering what there is to offer the game for world PvP encounters that I've grown to love already in AoC. It seems, to me ,that a lot of the PvP is based off of these RvR scenarios.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 11:40AM (Unverified) said

Two or three points in return, and also you're more than welcome.

The RvR Scenarios do exsist and they each have different spins, I haven't played WoW so I will defer to your knowledge there.

There are iirc a few types of RvR though. Sieges, keep battles, scenarios and open world.
We dont have to play murderball for me to walk up and stab you in the brain, at least as far as I understand it. Beta players can you comment cryptically?

As for EA rushing it, Mythic have held it back twice now against afaik, so I think they're unlikely to start pressuring now. Releasing close to WoTLK is one thing, undercutting potential WoW returners by offering the game in the fall is another.

The onus is now on Mythic rather than EA to not push back again.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 12:26PM (Unverified) said

I think the biggest draw to world PvP is going to be the keeps. A recent podcast (from a Q&A session at Origins) stated that when a guild takes over a keep in open world, that keep is draped with your guild's heraldry and the NPC guards that spawn are also decked out in your guild heraldry. Tell me that isn't cool.

As for BGs - you can level via them, they give your side points toward zone control, there are a lot more of them than in WoW (and each is zone specific, so you're a bit more immersed into the environment), and you can apparently join them from anywhere so you don't have to go to a major city just to enter a Scenario.

Sure, the Scenarios aren't for everyone but neither is world PvP. I like that both aspects will be in game, and that they'll both have an impact in the overall struggle for zone control.

In the end we'll just have to wait and see - so far there's enough to keep me interested and hopeful though.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 3:06PM (Unverified) said

@Nadril

To expand on everyone's attempts to answer your concerns with pvp, each and every zone of the game will be divided into pvp and pve areas with the higher level zones being almost exclusively pvp, so in these pvp areas there will be keeps, mentioned above so I won't go into them any further, but also towns, battle camps, etc where there will be quest givers for pvp quests, could be simple kill quests or more elaborate public pvp quests, and not to mention controllable siege weapons!

I haven't heard them mention anything on this but I'd assume that if you got a group big enough you could probably attack the enemies towns, sorta like the old TM-SS battle that happened in wow before battlegrounds. And in WAR it wouldn't be hard to imagine getting rewards, besides xp, for attacking enemy camps.

IMO scenarios will be fun, they are supposed to be short, 15min cap, so it is something that you can do when you don't have a lot of time, and want to help the war effort. Whereas the open world pvp will be more time consuming, but it will be more rewarding in terms not of loot or even the war effort, the open world pvp is worth equal amount of victory points, but in the satisfaction of you the player. Pushing the Alliance back to killing everything in Southshore is one of the most memorable moments I have form WOW, near equal to killing Ragnaros [i] the first time[/i].

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 1:25AM (Unverified) said

The simple fact ( that anyone in the beta can attest to) is that this game without releasing any of these extras is already amazing.

So what if they haven't told everyone what exactly those things are. it's their game. It's your call weather to purchase it or not.

Ya there's stuff we wanna know. Hell i scour the boards every day for new stuff. Here's the thing... it's still in beta. They go and release something and then later it isn't in the best interest of the game and needs to be removed..... then everyone goes crying that they lied and never intended to release it. Any time beta info gets out it really puts these companies in a bad spot.

Sit back, relax and just wait. It wont be much longer till War hits the shelves :)

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 3:53AM (Unverified) said

Seph as in Seph from City of Heroes?

Posted: Jul 9th 2008 4:39PM (Unverified) said

Good News, I stopped by Game Spot last night, and this guy I know behind the counter said, he doesn't know when open beta starts, but the people at Warhammer told them that the release date has been moved up to Sept. Which means your almost sure to see open beta start Mid July to Mid August.

I can't wait for this game, I'm tired of running around in a small area, to find any PVP left in WOW.
Open field World PVP... Bring it on!

PVE is for Mouth-Breathers.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story