Posted: Jul 7th 2008 2:05PM Ghen said

Hellgate had bugs, sure. And a few missing pieces (like a mailbox) that users require in such an item based game so they can transfer items between characters... but it was one overarching problem that made me quit: I didn't feel powerful.

When you have a game that is obviously modeled after diablo and you take away the 1-5 hit kills on monsters but leave the -amount- of monsters people will just feel overwhelmed and weak. Not a very good place for a sci-fi fantasy game.

Look at Diablo 3. The developers have said one of their core fundamentals is:

"What is the spirit of Diablo? Apparently, one of the hallmarks is the concept of the replayable RPG; it also revolves around having powerful heroes engaged in epic, large-scale combat, while maintaining approachable gameplay and a co-operative focus." (quoted from joystiq)

Its the first thing on the Blizzard developers mind and the first thing that Flagship forgot. Its the ultimate sin. If you make the player feel weak and underpowered they will stop playing no matter how good your game is.

Posted: Jul 7th 2008 3:36PM (Unverified) said

Hellgate has so many problems it's hard to know where to start.

I followed the development since it's announcement and I couldn't have been more disappointed in the result. Not just the bugs and lack of polish, but the overall game design itself seemed extremely poor, uninteresting and amateurish.

Graphically and control-wise it played like a 1995 shareware game. Ice skating controls, tiny enviornments, ugly textures, very lame combat animations.

I've been sort of excited to see what they can do with Mythos, as I'd love to give Bill Roper and company another shot... however with their former employer's recent D3 annoucement, it's definitley gonna get way overshadowed.

Posted: Jul 7th 2008 4:23PM (Unverified) said

I really liked hellgate, it was a fun game in and of itself. The things that drove me away from being a full on fanboy were:

annoying inventory management
above all nothing i hate worse than spending roughly half my play time doing a mini game of tetris with my inventory every 5 minutes.

Oh look.....its another one of those guys....
Repeatedly using the same exact monsters with a few more hit points and a different color pattern is a game killer. Diablo got away with it cause the game itself was very fun and there were unique random bosses to make up the difference. This is the same exact thing that killed Tabula Rasa for me.

Gold spam from day 1
I know this exists in every single online game out there, but in hellgate you would get messages from the same guy for 3 days straight, they didn't put much effort into clearing them out. It was so bad I had to completely turn off chat, which left me wondering why I didn't just play the single player game.

I had big hopes for this game, im so sick of the stupid fantasy genre that im willing to give anything different a chance, and then a second chance, and then a third. But if i find myself logging out minutes after I log in every time I cancel like anyone else.

Posted: Jul 7th 2008 6:20PM (Unverified) said

Hellgate had so many problems, from being over-hyped to lacking in development skill, to being buggy as hell, to being unfinished to not having a definite genre, to pretending to try to be an MMO. It will forever go down as how NOT to do gaming.

What makes me so angry though is that I bought into the hype. I believed them. I thought they could do it. I'm both mad at myself and them. I could never trust them again. Flagship, and their staff, is forever tainted in my eyes.

I still don't understand why they have a subscription. They are releasing an arguably better game in Mythos that is free to play. It just doesn't make sense. Hellgate should ditch the subscription for the content, which is pathetically limited, and simply do microtransactions for the new content and those with Founders accounts should get the content for free.

I really think those guys who left Blizzard were a weak link in the company.

Posted: Jul 7th 2008 8:12PM (Unverified) said

Did they say who to contact for a refund?

I bought into the hype and picked up Hellgate:London - one of the few games I truly regret spending money on.

Betawatch: November 15 - 21, 2014

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 8:00PM

The Stream Team: No more Landmark tour deaths!

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 3:00PM