Posted: Jul 4th 2008 8:56AM (Unverified) said

Only five races? Well, okay! I'd choose Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans, Trill, and Betazoids. And since there's so many varieties of humans (Asians, Europeans, Africans, etc.) we could see quite a lot of differences within these races as well. Would be fun.

Posted: Jul 4th 2008 10:19AM (Unverified) said

I'll go Trill, Vulcan, Bajorans, Andorians and Bolians if limited to Federation races like Perpetual originally wanted...

I'll go Trill, Vulcan, Klingon, Romulan and Cardassian as player races if we include non Federation folks.

Either way it'll be interesting.

Posted: Jul 4th 2008 10:47AM Wouldzey said

Well humans is a given so 5 more after that.

I'd like:
- Ferengi: Such a cool race and something completely different
- Klingon: You have to have these guys
- Vulcan: Loads of people would love to play these
- Trill: They fit so perfect into the federation and would be really interesting if joined (just aslong as you cant call them Dax hehe)
- Bajoran: Could provide a very interesting change to the typical humanoid race

No Nos: These are races i dont want to see as playable:
- Borg
- Kardasian
- Betazoid
- Android (a la Data)
- Founder
- Species 8472
- Romulan (just because i want them to switch to the bad guys)
- Q

All those races i want as either bad guys or in the case of Betazoid, founder and Q they are just too powerful or cant be accurately portrayed in an mmo.

Posted: Jul 4th 2008 12:43PM deautomaton said

TRIBBLES, DEFINITELY

Posted: Jul 4th 2008 1:49PM Haggs said

When given a choice of races, I always like to pick the most alien-looking race (like Taurens in WoW).

So I hope we'll get to play some of the more alien-looking races in the Star Trek universe. Maybe the Tellarites or, like you mentioned, the Voth.

After that, well, if wouldn't be Star Trek if you didn't include classics like Klingons and Vulcans.

Posted: Jul 4th 2008 3:41PM WitchDrAsh said

I think if I was to do it there'd be 5 factions, Federation would have a few races as part of the character creation, but all essentially the same, but if I was fixed to 5 races I'd go:

Human, Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi and Vulcan. As much as I'd love to see Borg they are clearly only suited to NPC enemies.

Other race I'd like to see as playable characters would Trill, Suliban, Hirogen, Bajoran, Andorian, Cardassian, Breen, Remen and Vorta.

Posted: Jul 4th 2008 5:11PM (Unverified) said

As much as people howled about PE wanting to launch STO with a Federation only start, I still think from a logisitcal point of view it is the best way to go. Then add the Klingons, Romulans, etc as expansions. For the Federation you should have four founding members of the Federation first (Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellerites), add in Trill, Betazoid and two other minor races (maybe in-house created races) to make things interesting. The Borg should remain an NPC race and not a player race.

With expansion add the Klingon Empire, The Romulan Star Empire, The Cardassian Union. The Ferengi could be added in with a merchants and traders expansion. Have at least the Klingon and/or Romulan expansion ready for release withing 4 to 6 months of game launch. The others can be launched as yearly expansions.

Once all the race expansions are released, they could do semi-yearly or yearly expansions that are like D&D modules. For example, the different factions come together to fight off a new common enemy or a civil was in one of the factions and how it effect the other factions, etc.

Posted: Jul 4th 2008 10:37PM (Unverified) said

This isn't a bad idea. Although I would point out that if it IS Cryptic doing the game (and at this point I think most of us can assume it is them) then we can probably expect similarly cool free updates two or three times a year. So your idea could become something of a free content update-type deal, too.

Posted: Jul 5th 2008 10:21AM Wouldzey said

Yeah they were the first to do big free content publishes.

Everyone else has followed since.

Posted: Jul 5th 2008 5:17PM (Unverified) said

I'm gonna follow lead from Ash (et al): Human, Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi and Vulcan seems like the way to go. A good spread, pretty definable (and unique) traits for each. The only thing is that the Klingons are kind of stupid, and I think there'd be a demand for a more intelligent sort of tank - a roll which I'd like to see filled by the Hirogen.

Hard, though. Are we going Alpha quadrant, or are we allowed to get chucked into the ass-end of space? That dictates which classes can and cannot happen.