Posted: Jun 27th 2008 4:54PM Haggs said

I disagree with a couple points in the first part of your article. I don't think more experienced players should just ignore new players. Some can be obnoxious, sure, but I believe we should be welcoming and helpful to newer players whenever possible.

I play City of Heroes and there are a lot of experienced players in that game who are happy to help newbies. I think that's better than treating them like diseased vermin.

Posted: Jun 27th 2008 4:59PM (Unverified) said

I think the point I was trying to make is that players are not obligated to stop and assist new players and that new players if they don't get a response to their questions should not pester folks via the chat channel in order to get a response.

We were all newbies at one time or another, so any help that other players can provide should be accepted as a courtesy from others and not demanded as a "right". Unfortunately, there are so many bad examples out there that most players will treat a new player like "diseased vermin" unless that new player starts out showing respect and courtesy to others.

A simple "please" (note: "plz" does not count) and "thank you" (again, "thx" isn't the same thing) does wonders.

-K

Posted: Jun 27th 2008 5:10PM (Unverified) said

It's very interesting when people say that there are sources of information outside of the gamworld.
A)I doubt mainstreamers alt-tab out or even know what alt-tabbing is. The latter is being learned, but alas people like to stay in the game. I believe it's called immersing oneself.
B)How antisocial of players to point someone to a book without answering at least the person's initial question. They won't look. You might as well not say anything. I'd add ",and welcoming," to "If you don't have anything helpful to say, don't say it. I think in my forceful and bigoted opinion that that's what it takes to be a friend; being both helpful and welcoming.
C)I like what Stallard said about his ignore list. Good times.

Posted: Jun 27th 2008 9:11PM (Unverified) said

I understand what you mean by point B, but I think if done properly it's fine to tell someone to go look it up. If the person is legitimately new to the game, they won't have even heard of the website and will appreciate it. There is a world of difference between "www.allanswers.com, noob" and "It's a little difficult to explain that in chat. If you check on www.allanswers.com, there's a pretty good answer. You can find a lot of other good info there too!" You can even macro that and be helpful without any effort at all.

Posted: Jun 27th 2008 10:11PM (Unverified) said

I understand what you're saying about "immersion", but those kinds of players aren't the ones who spam chat channels with "plz show me how to get to..." or "Where is Mankirk's Wife?" They're the players who get out there and LOOK for it.

I think a certain amount of resentment is to be expected when older players, who had to figure out the answers on their own, are "expected" to hand that information over to newer players who don't have the experience of working for the answer like the older players did. "I did it on my own, why can't you?" is an absolutely fair question.

-K

Posted: Jun 28th 2008 1:21AM (Unverified) said

I have to disagree Kevin. I ask for help without spamming. I don't go out and look, until I haven't been answered after one question. I don't like to alt-tab out to chat or check wikis. Like I said, it ruins the immersion. It's totally immersing to ask another character where someone or something is, or how to do something. I don't bother people.
So I think you're a little off there.
You're right. You're not expected to answer.
No you can't ask "Why don't you go do it yourself?" Nothing helpful, do everyone a favor and try not to say it. It doesn't help them, it doesn't help you, it doesn't help the person looking for a group. Explorers who make maps and journals don't seem to say "Go do it yourself."

Posted: Jun 27th 2008 10:30PM (Unverified) said

Everything is dumbed down nowdays - even the trolls have become boring spammer :(

Posted: Jun 28th 2008 10:37PM ChongShin said

I like your idea of voting the annoying folks off of a server, but as you said, there are details to be ironed out.

a.) A guild could vote against a player that one of their members have a personal beef against. There would have to be protection against this built in, such as only so many votes from a guild would count, and / or you could not vote against someone for a few RL days after you have removed yourself (or been removed) from a guild.

b.) The snerts themselves could vote you off in retaliation for not giving them gold (or items) or not answering the questions, or not taking them some place, or... you get the point. Thus, votes against you by folks who have a bad vote history would have to be given less weight or not counted at all.

Still, I like the idea and I would fully support its implementation into an MMORPG. It reminds me of how it's possible to vote people off of an FPS server, which is definitely a needed feature during some games. ;-)

An MMORPG would need to limit a person's account to a "reeducation instance". Perhaps they would get 3 trips there, and the trip count to this instance would not be reset for one RL year. This gives them a "3 strike" safety net in case the voting system is exploited, and perhaps on their 4th strike they could petition for a GM to read over some logs determine if they deserve a permanent boot to the miscreant server.

I would enjoy assisting in the ironing out of the details, obviously. It would take a group to get it done, but I think that it could and should be done so long as certain precautions are taken.

Posted: Jul 1st 2008 4:56PM (Unverified) said

i agree that wandering around and learning the game on your own will make for amusing stories later. although, i did have a little help from guildmates in WoW early on, i was mainly by myself up until level 20 or so. i just wanted to share a story that i thought was amusing... because this reminded me of it, somehow.

my main is a rogue and it's my first character. i was in brill at a vendor and bought 200 arrows and bullets. a friend of mine was looking over my shoulder and asking me why i did that (being a rogue and not having trained guns or bows at this point) and i told her that i figured they would be good since there were 200 in a stack... it was truly epic lulz. and by god have i come a long way since then :')

that's my story of n00bly triumph.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2008 10:01AM (Unverified) said

Then shouldn't Player 7 be using the LFG tool, not spamming Gen Chat ... sounds like they're all jerks.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014