Posted: Jun 26th 2008 3:39PM Lethality said

The fact that that guy would have the audacity to even put his game in the same sentence as WoW, and then have it come out favorably is laughable.

I don't even have the energy to post yet more reasons AoC is the next worst thing to Vanguard from a technical level... but, suffice it to say that if he believes what he said, their heads are so far upp their asses that all of the people playing this game have no hope.

Leave AoC now, cancel, and tell them what's up.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 4:07PM Arkanaloth said

I think once they finish the re-polishing on AoC it will then be time to make (likely useless) comparisons to other games. My brother in law plays AoC and loves it.. my system couldn't even begin to crank that graphics engine though, or I'd give it a try at least. Having played WoW a lot, it's good but has several flaws.. flaws that I honestly doubt AoC will be the game to correct, but I digress.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 4:07PM Triskelion said

I agree, AoC is nothing but broken features, broken feats, broken classes, broken stats, broken pvp and broken promises. Blizzard has more talent and integrity in their left nut then Funcom has at their entire company.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 4:15PM Graill440 said

"Beyond lousy customer service" this coming from my brother, he said he is cancelling a week before his free trial is up, so they dont charge his cc. i have watched him play the game, curious and seen the customer service first hand, although i like the gameplay and areas i have seen, i have to admit, waiting 6 hours for a petition?! and then they get deleted?!! (him, not me)

he has a couple major gripes, both involve customer service, there is none, and with broken and bugged quests and crafting in the toilet, as my bro put it, i am glad i just visit ocassionaly to check the game out and listent to his rants, looks like he will be going back to world of dailycraft when his free month is up.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 4:47PM Cyron said

Shouldn't that be "AoC is to WOW as Steak is to McDonalds". The existing incarnation doesn't actually mean anything...

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 4:57PM Dudgeon said

He is right on the money here. Steak is better than any McDonalds offering. But if given the choice to have steak every day or being able to choose one of the many items on McDonalds menu every day I would pick the later. I think Godager astutely pointed out the weakness of AoC.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 4:56PM (Unverified) said

I am the TGI Fridays of analogies. I often get the order wrong!

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 4:53PM (Unverified) said

Chris Chester needs to work on his analogies. The title means absolutely nothing in context. "AoC : WoW :: Steak : McDonald's," not "AoC : Steak :: WoW : McDonald's."

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 5:07PM (Unverified) said

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There was more thought, artistic design and polish put into the Deadmines instance alone then the entire game of Age of Conan.

Gaute Godager, when your team can make a game that oh I don't know.. works, then you can begin to start talking about other peoples (award winning, 10+ million selling) games.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 5:20PM Crsh said

Props to Godager for idiotic statement of the month. I'm an AoC fan through and through, but that's pointless, inaccurate and utterly stupid.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 5:48PM (Unverified) said

I was suspended permenately from AOC... They said I posted a trojan, but it was some software on curse.com that had been there forever... After a week of emailing them, they threatened to block my IP address from their servers... They have the worst customer service I have ever seen, and I hope that their game fails soon... I hate Funcom so much...

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 5:54PM GRT said

Yeah, it sounds like Godager needs a PR handler to keep his mouth shut to me.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 6:57PM Nmaster64 said

It may not be a very well-cooked steak, but at least I don't leave the restaurant feeling like a fat whore...

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 7:07PM (Unverified) said

AoC: A steak thrown on the grill with no flavor and not cooked properly.

WoW: A steak carefully prepared and seasoned.

See I can make stupid analogies too.

No for reality.

AoC = A game
WoW = A game.

Play the one you want, or neither, or both and stfu.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 7:40PM (Unverified) said

Who wants a medium-well steak? Get it rare, or you might as well be eating a Big Mac patty.

Analogies aside, I unfortunately have to agree - AoC is in no position to compare themselves favorably to WoW. Even comparing apples to apples (WoW at launch to AoC at launch), WoW comes out the victor, and they've had four years, millions of dollars, and all the incentive in the world to make a superbly-balanced and well-crafted world. AoC shows promise, but they have worlds of catching-up to do.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 8:23PM (Unverified) said

Usually the restaurant you bought that steak will replace it. AoC is doing just that with two patches a week, they are fixing it, and making it better.

AoCs' market is a nich market, and it goes to show PvP games do sell, and people want it a harsh game. The PvP servers have the highest population of the game, Funcom said it themselves. Thousands waiting for "the next best pvp mmo"? I think not, it looks like its about a million, maybe more.

...and no major developer is trying to tackle this HUGE market. As an example: an cellular MVNO has a higher cost than MMO's to create and run, and some of the smaller ones are targeting smaller markets and failing because of high cost. Imagine if Helio had sold 1 million contracts in the first month of operation. They would of released the iPhone instead of AT&T, with the money made from that, and would be buying Sprint with pocket change.

Posted: Jun 27th 2008 3:29AM Darthus said

If you buy the idea that WoW is created for the mass market and is accessable to everyone (hence its overwhelming success) and AoC is designed for a more hardcore crowd but potentially has deeper and more complex gameplay, then yes, I think the analogy stands. Make whatever comments you want about the cookedness of the steak, but I don't entirely dispute his analogy.

I assume he's talking about the games in terms of their overall design and intent rather than the current state of the two. Keep in mind that WoW has been out what... 3 years? I bet AoC will be quite a polished game 3 years from now.

Posted: Jun 27th 2008 3:32AM Darthus said

Ok, I just realized this quote is kind of taken out of context. Here is the original quote:

"I enjoy playing WOW, I enjoy playing Lord of the Rings Online. But you know... I'm going to be a bit cheeky now, but if you've been to McDonalds for four or five years, and had your burger and your coke, sometimes it's great to just have a great steak and a glass of good wine. I think that's what we're trying to do. It's more expensive, it's not for everyone and perhaps it's not as easily accessible as WOW is. But it could be more meaty."

Notice he says "trying to do". He doesn't say AoC as it is now is a steak while WoW is a burger and coke. He's saying that instead of going for mass market appeal they are going for what they feel is a more "meaty" and deeper experience. I think with things like siege, the combat system, the maturity, the voiced quests, the graphics you could make the argument that they are definitely shooting for a more "meaty" experience than WoW did. Not as a knock to WoW's enjoyability, but just as a statement on their different design purposes.

Posted: Jun 27th 2008 9:11AM (Unverified) said

I tried McDonald's, and I loved it. It was great. But it's just not something you can keep on eating forever. And I know there is better out there. But it's all over, and every one likes it.

I tried the steak. It was undercooked, tough, hard to chew, grissley, and didn't taste all that great. It looked great on the plate, it smelled good, but there was nothing else to go along with it, and I just couldn't stomach finishing more than a few bites.

What I'm looking forward to is the gourmet, stone-baked, pizza. Made how you like it, by people who know how to make pizza. It will easily be the best out there, and can't wait to eat it every day for years to come.

(Pizza is Warhammer Online)

Posted: Jun 27th 2008 9:40AM (Unverified) said

Everyone seems to forget that AoC has only been out for a short time. It is tru that it lacks the depth that WoW has, but WoW has had a lot more time to add that depth. AoC has a lot of potential and can soon be the biggest MMO. All that it needs is time, nothing is done perfect first time, and AoC need time to fully get things rolling.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories