Posted: Jun 23rd 2008 11:13PM (Unverified) said

He likewise responded to my article about that quote: http://waaagh.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/richard-bartle-responds-to-war-accusations/

Posted: Jun 24th 2008 1:01PM (Unverified) said

Sorry, I missed yours. I went ahead and added some links back to your blog. I've been subbed to your feed for some time too, and definitely would have you used your post as a point of main reference. Thanks for pointing it out.

Posted: Jun 24th 2008 12:54AM (Unverified) said

Richard Bartle .. newest Internet phenom for being a clueless designer. Nice going RB.

Posted: Jun 24th 2008 1:45AM (Unverified) said

"Those who cannot do, criticize. " - Unknown

Where is the great modern MMO to spring forth from the mind of this so called genius, to save us from the dreary worlds we must now endure?

This guy has a lot of answers, yet nothing to show. I keep hearing he is a game designer, but where are the games? So he figured out to put a text based adventure into computer format. Wow, sounds like D&D. It's easy to create any world you want when the game is limited to words, and the players must use their imaginations to flesh out the experience.

Video games have advanced signifigantly over the years, and in the past few years exponentially. There is still a long way to go to create the "perfect" MMO, should such a thing ever exist. There are limitations, the number one being money/cost. Then take into account accessibilty, end-user hardware, a gripping story/lore, etc.

Mr. Bartle's continued claims that he sees the game as a designer would, and not aplayer, shows his lack of awareness. The game are designed for players, and the best designers know that. He seems to be a person stuck on his past achievments, and comepletely condescending of anyone who came after him. His commentary is asinine; it's easy to criticize, much more difficult to actually do.

Posted: Jun 26th 2008 1:30PM (Unverified) said

Wikipedia article detailing his career and his contributions to the industry:

Posted: Jun 24th 2008 8:45AM (Unverified) said

I'm going to go with the same "example" I did on Tobolds blog.

Evolution vs revolution.

I think he should stop poking the market with a stick and hoping for a sudden burst of insane inspired creativity. MMOs are evolving as you cannot lure people to the game without offering something "more". Sooner or later all the evolution in the current track will be done and then he will get his revolutionary games that when played, we'll look back and wonder why they never came about.

Posted: Jun 24th 2008 10:31AM Keen and Graev said

Retractions with a twist for 300 please, Alex.

Posted: Jun 24th 2008 1:28PM Syme said

"I want this is because it will mean that virtual worlds have begun to reach their full potential, to become what they truly can be - awesome, glorious, wonderful places where people can be and become themselves: freedom incarnate. "

Unfortunately, John Gabriel has some bad new for Mr. Bartle.

Posted: Aug 28th 2008 4:29PM (Unverified) said

Ya, Mr. Bartle has never played WAR. The combat mechanics are vastly more original than WoW's EQ port. Part of the reason WAR is so different is because each class has abilities that are basically 'AE' effects. this would have been insane in traditional PvE based MMOs, but this dynamic works beautifully in RvR / world and group PVP, and this is what puts WAR beyond any other MMO Ive played.

Personally I loved WoW. I loved theory crafting and perfecting my gear and builds to max my end game performance.

Here's how this appeals to me : instead of theory crafting some 0.3% - 1.2% dps improvement vs. end game raid bosses (alla WoW), you are actually BATTLE CRAFTING.

You look at your characters stats, gear, tactics, specialization and say "how can I kill more people? How can I synergize with other classes to wtfpwn a whole field of other players?"

Which is a more fun use of your superior theory crafting skill and brainpower? small % dps gain, or wtfpwning a field of less informed, less skilled players?

There are plenty of other things that separate this game. That happens to be my favorite.