Posted: Jun 23rd 2008 6:38PM (Unverified) said

The CSM was created as an attempt to assuage the EvE community over CCP's horrible handling of the various scandles involving developer assistance to the Band of Brothers alliance. CCP could have just as well read comments posted on the game developments forum and considered them as they desired. The issues of the player base will be heard from (and taken under consideration) to the same degree as they were before the CSM was created.

11% of the account base is pretty much an accurate number of those who a) actually actively play the game and b) give a damn about what goes on in it. The two large power blocs in the game, led by Band of Brothers and Goonswarm, gamed the majority of the seats. BoB votes went to Jade and Serenity Steele (Jade is a well known BoB fanboy, as is Steele (and played in BoB under a different account), and both hate the Goons and all that stand with them. Goons voted for Darius (their CEO) and Bane (a Goonfleet member well known for his extremely detailed dissertation on Titans, which was key to them being nerfed).

So, long story short, CCP created the CSM as a public relations ploy to distract and reinfranchise the player base, but it has no power and is irrelevent.

Posted: Jun 24th 2008 12:12PM Brendan Drain said

I do believe it was mostly a PR stunt but CCP seems intent to use the council to focus player feedback. Think about it, it's an extremely low-cost way to find out the issues that people on the forums consider important. Instead of hundreds of threads, they let people report problems to the council, who in turn report them to CCP in a series of meetings. It's much more effective than having devs scour the forums and much cheaper than hiring someone to scour them.

Posted: Jun 28th 2008 10:16AM (Unverified) said

I don't think the CSM is "irrelevant" but at the same time I don't believe this first Council is going to drastically alter the game in any direct way. I commented about this elsewhere, but I view what they're doing as setting precedents and frameworks that will guide the efforts of future Councils. To me, that's what the lasting effect of the current CSM will be.

Jade Constantine is by no means infallible in the role of chairman, and muting another Council member is debatable at best, but he and the other CSM delegates are pushing ahead when a lot of naysayers have- and continue to- predict the CSM's doom before they've even begun.

I agree with 'no one' in that it would be naïve to think that the game is suddenly going to better reflect the wishes of the entire player base because a group of them is flown to Iceland periodically, but I think this is more than just PR on CCP's part. These issues being brought to them have now been made public record, they can't simply ignore them- they've got to address the issues somehow. And like Brendan said, that's an improvement over hundreds of 30-page threads on 'nerf nanos', 'save the Pilgrim', 'ECM is overpowered', ad nauseam.

Progress is slowly being made if CCP is openly dealing with these player concerns through interaction with the CSM, it's just not apparent to us yet- and probably won't be for some time. This first CSM will continue to take heat right up until the end, but I think hindsight will show that they accomplished something far more than just a list of prioritized issues and photo ops for CCP.

Posted: Jul 1st 2008 4:31PM (Unverified) said

not sure how much big of an issue it is to not have most people voting on issues, they can't complain about the decisions cause they didn't voted on what should be taken in consideration (unless they did wanted to vote but due to some reason out of their ocntrol that wasn't possible)

Posted: Jul 4th 2008 9:25PM (Unverified) said

Pretty fair article for the time it was written. I think your readers will be very pleasantly surprised how well matters went in Iceland in the follow-up writing though.

Its very fair to say that I (and the other CSM's) have been finding our footing with very little guidance or procedural detail but yep, we persevered and got the job done through the first five meetings and took a decent selection of issues and proposals to the CCP council meeting at the HQ.

As for mutings and scandals and forum outcries, well, was to be expected really. I've never been the kind of player to shy away from controversy and everyone who voted for Jade Constantine knew they were getting some excitement in the position. I've made some mistakes, we all have, but ultimately the job got done and we managed a near miracle to get the CSM functioning from our end in 3 weeks flat.

But I will say things have now settled down nicely and the council is very capable of working well together. Face to face talks have a great way of resolving differences of opinion and mutual respect can grow from round table discussions in a way it never will in simple live internet chats or politicized forum debates.

Last point @ the first comment. Its worth noting that SirMolle (the leader of Evolution and head of Band of Brothers) publicly backed one of my rivals in the election and disagreed with the manifesto I was running. I'm certainly not in the CSM to represent BOB interests. I ran on a ticket of space combat dynamism and opportunity for small scale pvp and maximum player on play carnage in empire wars. Whilst I do sometimes agree with BOB individuals on certain policies its vastly inaccurate to describe my role on the CSM as a BOB rep.

JadeC