Posted: Jun 21st 2008 12:10PM (Unverified) said

I'm going to be very upset if their next MMO features Ivalice. I hate it when the Final Fantasy series re-uses a world. One of the cool things about the series is that each game takes place in a completely new world... except for the last two released which were both in Ivalice, the second was actually a sequal to 12. And we all know how popular X-2 was.

Posted: Jun 21st 2008 12:13PM (Unverified) said

It could be argued that each Final Fantasy isn't really that different of a world.

I would also point out that many of the games that feature Ivalice have their own takes on the world. FFT, Vagrant Story, FFT:A, FFT:A2 and FFXII all were variants of the Ivalice world. So if anything it's just the renaissance theme that I want.

Also, I'd still be down for some FF steampunk MMO action.

Posted: Jun 21st 2008 12:21PM (Unverified) said

I want to play a MMO in the Final Fantasy Universe because of the rich history and great characters but I was put off by FF XI so I am looking forward to this new MMO by Square Enix. I just hope they have learned from their mistakes.

Posted: Jun 21st 2008 12:26PM eggmanjr said

I hope they improve their business practises with any future MMO. I know that I had a horrible experience trying to resub. At the time they only kept your characters for a few months, so when I resubscribed about four months after I had quit the game all my characters were gone.

On top of that they used your original billing date as the start time for your billing cycle and they did not prorate. So if you signed up two days before your billing cycle they ripped you off and charged you the full months fee for two days.

I like to resub occasionally to MMO's I have played in the past to check out changes, but my experience with Final Fantasy 11 completely turned me off of Square Enix's pay services.

Ironically about a year later they sent me an email trying to entice me to resubscribe and stated my old characters would be available, so they had the ability to do it but just didnt care enough to offer it to those returning outside of their marketing push.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2008 3:57AM masterinsan0 said

An MMO set in a world similar to FF6's world would have my dollar pretty much instantly. Hell, set it in post-Kefka World of Darkness and you've got a storyline already: rebuilding the world. You could meet up with classic FF6 characters and visit the locations...

Yeah, I think I'd dump my pants if that's what they were working on. That is, so long as they don't reuse the awful control scheme from FF 11. Let PC users play it like a PC game. Actually, let console players play it like one too. All the major consoles now can plug in USB keyboards and mice, so let the poor schmucks who play with a controller be the secondary focus. I'm not saying they shouldn't support it, I'm just saying they should have two very different control methods: one for keyboard/mouse and one for controller.

(This, of course, assumes they do a multi-system release like they did with FF 11.)

Posted: Jun 22nd 2008 9:05AM koehler83 said

As long as they dont pander to PC crowds and make a crappy point and click game like most MMOs, I'd be happy. As a 4 year+ vet of FFXI, the one thing that kept me playing so long is the fact that I can sit back on my couch playing the game comfortably. Not hunched over my keyboard and mouse like a sexless stereotype. The fact that I can also play on my PC is also a plus.

Also the core foundation of FFXI's difficulty shouldnt be changed either. It's focused around community over individual gains. I think that has made the FFXI community much more involving than any other. I played LOTRO for 3 months and barely spoke to a soul. That doesnt work in FFXI and I prefer it that way.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2008 3:54PM (Unverified) said

Horrible article. The only hard MMO, and this writer gives terrible comments such as make the game easier. "Also, it would be nice to play a Final Fantasy MMO that wasn't so harsh on players who died -- losing experience is a deal-breaker for many players these days." Maybe we should start everyone at max level, why even bother making anything hard. You can select all of the items you want from the hardest monsters because having to think and obtain items is so hard and takes time.

At the same time we should make sure to copy the system everyone else has used. Make sure everything is easy and nothing requires skill or throught. FFXI was and still is the only game to get team makes involved with each other. Skill chains and magic bursts. LOTRO Tried and half way failed. Every game has max levels within a month. Max crafting within a week. All of the items, none rare, everyone can get them within 2 months.

FFXI is still the only game to make people strive for things. It seems thats gone down the tubes to the tard who complain that everything is just 'too hard'. Reviewer here seems to agree, wants to be babied.

Thanks for helping in the downfall of sissy MMO's Kyle Horner.

Posted: Sep 1st 2008 7:12PM Kaio said

I'm am very excited about this upcoming mmo, but I think I would be turned off to it if they purposely made it simular to FFVII. The idea of a futuristic FF mmo really would not be a bad idea, but it makes you wonder what would they make the armor look like. Would Samurai look still look like a Samurai or would the armor look as crappy as Vaan's vest and nipple cover. Owning an airship would be pretty cool though.

I would be very happy in they added a level of soloability this time. I know it's a mmo but I dont think you should be forced to wait for hours and hours just to get a little EXP or even to farm. I'm glad FFXI focused on community among the players but there there should be more balance.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM