Posted: Jun 19th 2008 8:36AM heartlessgamer said

Even though I rail against CCP all the time for being a bit "out there" with their game politics approach, I must admit the EVE community has always done a good job of providing tools needed to be successful. I just wish it was as easy as pointing people in the direction of a couple tools, but the truth is it takes months to learn anything in EVE and it really sucks to find out your character was created wrong :P

Posted: Jun 19th 2008 9:02AM Wgraves said

even if you created your character "wrong" you can still train whatever it just takes a little bit longer, i set up my character to skill pvp (guns/ships) quickly and ended up doing covops and ewar.

a few more good things to have for eve are-

http://eve-agents.com/ - Agents! this is insanely important if you need to mission to build a little isk, especially in unfamiliar territory.

http://www.battleclinic.com/ - loadouts, item descriptions, killboards, mission guides.

http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page - good info, especially in the How To area.

Posted: Jun 20th 2008 12:21PM (Unverified) said

Actually, heartless brings up a great point. If you don't like the way your character is turning out, it is always just a mattter of a little time to "fix" it, whereas in many other games you would have to start over completely. Nearly all skills will be useful for something down the line, so you don't have to feel quite so much like you wasted your time.

Unless you created your character with 14 points in charisma at the start. Then you might have a problem ;)

Posted: Jun 20th 2008 10:15PM (Unverified) said

Yes I think Heartless was talking about stat allocation. You could certainly play for months and then come to the conclusion that if you want to achieve a certain goal (say, flying capital ships), it would be better to throw away your character and start again with different stats.

The actual skill system is a very different matter, there is nothing you can do there which is actually BAD.. any time you spend training a skill, the worst that can happen is that you spent the time. :)

Posted: Jul 11th 2008 8:59AM (Unverified) said

We covered this during The Drone Bay Episode #1, for those interested:

CK

Posted: Jul 12th 2008 12:48PM (Unverified) said

Good list here, CK.
Just had my hard drive replaced and need to re-download the third party apps-- and there are so many of them for EVE, it's great.

EVEMon and EFT have always been the main ones I've relied upon in Windows; Skill Monitor Cocoa and EVE Skill Monitor on the Mac side (but they just show skill training, no planning features).

You mentioned EVE Strategic Maps here and on the Drone Bay; before that I was kind of on the fence about whether or not it's something I'd "need." I caved and ordered a copy last week, looking forward to checking that out soon.

Posted: Jul 13th 2008 9:18AM (Unverified) said

Glad to be of help!

The ESM is worth every penny and will become your constant companion. It has in my case anyways. =)

Posted: Oct 24th 2008 1:23PM (Unverified) said

One of the best links i have u'l find almost everything in this link. ^-^