Posted: Jun 19th 2008 10:55PM cray said

I hated WoW the short time I played it. While I'll admit it has more to offer in terms of content and the fact that it feels like a larger world. However Guild Wars was easier for me to get into and its simplicity is a genius in its own way. Biggest problem I had with GW was the over abundance of single player quest and missions. I hope they do away with the henchmen and Heroes or at least limit them to one per character and for limited time. I nmever played EverQuest so I can't comment on it.

The fact that Guilds Wars is subscription free made me willing to put up with its limits. I look forward to the sequel where they are expected to fix the 'habitrail' problem among other things.

Posted: Jun 20th 2008 3:51AM (Unverified) said

Re: Henchmen and Hero NPCs in GW2.

From what I've read, the plan is currently to change it around so that instead of filling up an entire group with NPCs, each player will be allowed to take along with them one NPC as sort of a "sidekick." The sidekick doesn't take up a group slot, meaning that a group of 4 people could be 4 PCs and 4 NPC henchmen assuming everyone brings their own NPC on the mission. If you don't take your henchman, then you get some "other type of bonus" to make up for it.

This has been met with mixed feelings by GW1 players, because you wouldn't be able to fill up a group with multiple NPCs anymore. Many people like that Neverwinter Nights/Balder's Gate type of gameplay in GW1--it's one of the game's standout features--so I don't doubt that the devs will keep that in mind when fleshing out GW2.

I picked up GW1 recently, and would recommend it highly to anyone looking for something new. You get a huge amount of content in the campaigns and missions which you can find groups for pretty easily if you want, or can go at alone if you feel like playing solo for awhile. Plus, you get a ton of PVP content on top of that where you can easily get into random games for quick fun or assemble a team and try arranged matches for extra competition.

Posted: Jun 19th 2008 11:16PM Alpoe said

Ive played both WoW and GW, and theres really nothing one can do that the other can't per se (expect 25-40 man raid in wow) in solo and grouping.

In GW, if at anytime you feel like doing something with your friends or helping guildies out, you can simply instant travel to a town and group up. On the other hand you can take your heroes and henchmen (which are not that bad! I don't care what everyone else says about them, they don't suck a damn bit!) and experience the game perfectly.

With WoW, you just happen to be in a seemless world with a lot of people around you (in some areas) I still spent most of my time leveling, which is solo. But the endgame is all about gear and having to group up can take hours and it is a real pain at times.

So in reality, i spent the same amount of time solo and in groups in both games. I love both my MMOG's and wouldn't dare put one over the other.

Posted: Jun 20th 2008 12:28AM (Unverified) said

A large chunk of GW players don't consider using Heroes and Henchmen to be "soloing" because you still have a full group, regardless how many humans are behind them. That's mostly a non-GW player mentality.

A lot of players do take pride in coming up with profession+gear+skill builds in order to actually solo various parts of the game, usually to make it easier to farm certain items.

Posted: Jun 20th 2008 10:30AM Arkanaloth said

in a nutshell, yes.. the article hits the nail on the head. GW is the mmog for people who not only have no issues soloing but actually *THRIVE* on it.. It's not for everyone, personally I love it more than any other game I've played, and I've played a lot (including WoW).

I have a few friends and when we're all on we team up but it's nice to know that if they're not on I can continue to progress through the story without excessive LFG waiting or dealing with people who may have personalities or playstyles that clash with my own...

GW is great. No kill stealing, I know my quest mob is going to be there, don't have to worry about some bored PVP'er killing my quest turn-in NPC's, no duel-spammers, and nothing in the way of my PVE progress. I can experience the game on my own terms when I want and if real life needs attention I can park my HH team, go away for *hours* come back and pick up my mission right where I left off... For me, GuildWars is a perfect 10.

Posted: Jun 20th 2008 11:09AM (Unverified) said

I would have answered WoW, as that game is pretty excellent for giving you tons of quests and content that you can solo with no problems, all the way to level cap and beyond.

But now my answer is Age of Conan. Definitely the best solo PvE questing/levelling experience in any MMO I've played.

The Stream Team: Firefall's farewell