Posted: Jun 18th 2008 4:21PM (Unverified) said

"If a game came out that was a carbon copy of WoW in terms of combat, accessibility, amount of content, art direction, and gameplay balance, but had a completely new set of races, classes, quests, items, dungeons, and zones, I think that it would be a bit of a sleeper hit. Scratch that--it would be a smashing success. Why? Because the formula works! There are a lot of reasons why WoW carries however many million players, but at the heart of it is the fact that WoW is a damn fun game to play."

Woo! World of Starcraft!

Posted: Jun 18th 2008 4:46PM (Unverified) said

Having been only casually interested in WoW, and not a fan of Starcraft, I would still be all up ons World of Starcraft. A well built Sci-Fi action MMO about war? Sign me up!

Posted: Jun 18th 2008 6:59PM (Unverified) said

That's what I like about Swords & Sorcery, it builds on itself. Beholders for instance. It's a cool idea, and lots of fantasy settings since D&D have used it. Is it copywriting? Ish. I think that when it comes to fantasy, building up can be a great thing if done well. When you take the right aspects of all of the outstanding settings, it can only get better and better.

Posted: Jun 18th 2008 9:58PM (Unverified) said

One thing to keep in mind as far as WAR copying WOW in the art department is that warhammer has been around for over 20 years. Just about all of the looks of the races, armor, and zones have been described and drawn/painted for years, so although WOW came out first, most of their artistic ideas came from Warhammer. That being said, Warhammer draws most of its influence from Tolkien's original literature, which also inspired D&D. Not saying this is bad, opposite in fact. Thank you Tolkien for laying down the ground work for what has become "staple fantasy" themes. All in all, orcs will be orcs, and elves will be elves lol.

Posted: Jun 18th 2008 11:50PM (Unverified) said

Great article! You pointed out everything all these whiners talk about. Almost all games/mmo's are basically something that's been done before but just packaged better.

One of the biggest things in mmo's for me is how the GUI and HUD are always neglected. Especially fonts that don't even fit the game or crappy icons. If everyone learned from Blizzard they'd be getting somewhere.

Posted: Jun 19th 2008 3:24PM Ergonomic Cat said

I mean, for gehod's sake - that's what Blizzard *does*.

They take all the elements that are out there, combine them in to a product that is far greater than the sum of its parts, add, as you said, the golden touch, and then dominate. Diablo is just a rogue-like. Star/Warcraft are just boiled down RTS's. WoW is just EQ done better.

And yet, Blizzard's games are spec-fsckin-tacular. Because they understand that taking what works, and polishing it, is the best way to succeed.

Innovation is risky. Refining is not. ;)

I agree with your point - my dream MMO is never "I'd like this thing that has never been done." It's always "I want Planetside's base system for PvP, combined with CoH's mission system, archetypes, and grouping, mixed with WoW's humor and polish, boiled over a base of Anarchy Online."

I want my favorites to be cloned up and mixed in to a dream come true.

And yeah, the above mash-up is either my ideal War 40k or Shadowrun MMO.