Posted: Jun 17th 2008 6:17PM (Unverified) said

I think we should pay MORE than $15 a month, honestly. It's insanely cheap, for the amount of hours of fun we get out of it, compared to practically any other form of paid entertainment or hobby that adults are seriously into.

I'd rather they charge us $40, $50, or $60 a month and hire a ton more GMs and community managers, and ramp up the update schedule dramatically.

That sounds like a lot of money, but if you play only a few hours a week, you're spending less than you would on a great number of other pastimes that adults seem to have no problem shelling out the dough for.

Would it make the game inaccessible to many of the kids who play now under the current pricing? Yep, and I think a lot of the adult customers would appreciate that, too.

Posted: Jun 17th 2008 10:03PM (Unverified) said

Movies are more entertaining than a job, scuse me, MMO. I would much rather pay 9 bucks for an hour and a half of believable graphics, VOICES, stunning visuals, action, music and other sound, and smooth animations, er acting. MMOs are lousy to continually pay 15 dollars a month for in my forceful and bigoted opinion, and they only deserve maybe 10 dollars a month. They just throw you into a bland world that you grind through to get to the real gaming action, and say "Pay up every month. Repairs might be in a few years." It's like a shabby apartment.

I'd pay $50/month, the cost of my ISP, for an MMO that actually felt as if I could put that time into it and feel like it was truly awesome. I don't feel dirty after playing MMORPGs these days. I just feel...meh, it was fun. Maybe $50/month is payment for an episodic MMO if you catch my meaning.

Posted: Jun 18th 2008 12:58AM (Unverified) said

Considering that I used to spend $30 - $50 a month to buy the latest single-player game MMOG's @ $15 / month are, for me, a great deal!

Posted: Jun 18th 2008 8:51AM (Unverified) said

I would not pay more than $15/month because the bottom line is its another monthly cost out of my budget regardless of how many hours of entertainment I get from it. I think $15 is a very reasonable fee though. If you put out a good game (such as WoW, LOTRO, EQ2) you'll get subscribers in high enough numbers where $15 each is big money.

If you rate cost against hours of time enjoyed then should I be paying $60 for a paperback novel rather than $8? That novel will last me a month or so, much longer than a movie.

Posted: Jun 18th 2008 11:10AM (Unverified) said

Great game value of all time: Diablo II

The monthly fee is not a good business model because it forces players to make the choice, either play, or don't play, there is no middle option. Not only that, but it hurts the sales of other game, because people feel like they need to keep playing to get their full value.

I love MMO's, but the monthly fee business model has to go, there are better ways to do it, the biggest being advertising. If they had advertisements in AoC at loading screens, there would be no need for a monthly fee, they could get more players, and could make more money.

Posted: Jun 18th 2008 11:30AM (Unverified) said

Since I play multiple MMOs, I do need to keep track of my accounts. On a heavy month, between me and my fiancée, we can run around $80 on subscriptions.

I've started the trend of "riding on empty" in WoW, where I put in $15 and then cancel right away, so I play for a little while, but if I fall away, I don't get charged for the next month.

I don't interrupt my CoH account anymore, however. The veteran rewards are too juicy, and I'm already 2 months "behind".

Posted: Jun 18th 2008 8:51PM cray said

I think the pay for play model is smart business if you think you can take a huge piece of the MMO market like WoW. But if you don't get enough subscribers, then you run the risk of not having the cash flow to support the staff.

I'm a fan of non-subscription base gaming because it allows more freedom to play other games. I'm not sure how Guild Wars was able to be successful as a non-subscription game but in my mind it was decent enough game for the initial entry cost.

I think in the future subscription based games are going to have to be pooled together to offer a higher incentives to sign up.