Posted: Jun 16th 2008 3:41PM (Unverified) said

I'm not sure player created content is going to be on the plate ever (despite the mythical world building tools Turbine has), but I completely agree on the price point. DDO would very much benefit from the guildwars plan. DDO works for me because I only play with RL friends, at which point 2 months of DDO is less than buying Neverwinter Nights 2 or some such thing, but delivers much more. With what Turbine has said so far, who knows where DDO's future is.

Posted: Jun 17th 2008 12:40PM (Unverified) said

I wish NWN2 had a similar combat and movement system to DDO, but it's just a little too slow for my taste. DDO > NWN, in my opinion.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 5:09PM (Unverified) said

Not sure if it's still available but Turbine recently had a promotion where you could sign up for DDO at $9.99 per month...

Also the most recent episode of DDOcast quoted an interview with Turbine's new CEO and it sounds like they are indeed at least looking at ways to implement User Generated Content.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 5:35PM (Unverified) said

If it's got to be a monthly fee, I probably wouldn't pay it, honestly. As much as I like DDO, the group-oriented nature of the gameplay combined with the fact that people who know the dungeons ruin the experience mean that I can only really enjoy it when playing in a consistent group of people who have run only the same dungeons I have.

I don't have a lot of friends willing to keep a (second) monthly fee up for a once-per-week gaming session of just a few hours.

Unless they switch to a Guild Wars style pricing model, I just don't see myself giving it a lot of play time in the future.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 8:13PM preciousj said

Most of what you're describing sounds like Neverwinter Nights.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 8:19PM (Unverified) said

There are quite a few differences, but the really big one which springs to mind is that NWN2 has bulky and cumbersome control scheme, while DDO does not.

I far prefer the fluid dungeons and combat of DDO to the NWN2 system.

Plus, I've never had much luck with the NWN2 multiplayer. It's just kind of clunky, imo.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 8:16PM (Unverified) said

Awesome article. Thanks Cameron.

I agree with every one of your points.

Even though I am looking for a new game, I'm not even considering DDO at $15/ month for a group based game

But I would pay for DDO if it was like Guild Wars where I could buy boxes for new modules.

I wish Cryptic and Turbine would merge and have an all-access pass. Champions Online, Asherons Call, Lotro, and DDO all for $25 - 30 a month would be awesome.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 9:17PM Riggs said

Cameron Sorden said...

This is just the way I've been playing DDO for the last 2 years!!! 2 dedicated groups on Friday nights and Saturday mornings...slow and steady...highest level character I have is 11 so far...

Posted: Jun 17th 2008 12:40PM (Unverified) said

Seems like that's the best way to do it, which is why it's just not quite there at the $15 mark.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 9:07PM (Unverified) said

The veteran players who know the dungeons and just want to rush for xp or favor (DDO's version of "faction" or "reputation") are always a problem, but you can put up your own LFG and specifically state "no rushing" or whatever to make sure everyone knows you don't want to rush it and you don't want the experience spoiled.

Another alternative to make damn sure it's taken slower and methodical is to join one of DDO's permadeath guilds. Each server has at least one... :p~

Posted: Jun 17th 2008 12:40PM (Unverified) said

Except then you have to deal with permadeath... that's pretty hardcore.

Posted: Jun 17th 2008 2:06PM (Unverified) said

I have heard they are going to console/free to play