Posted: Jun 16th 2008 10:53AM Lethality said

One problem with your specific example is raiding guilds all operate differently. For us, there is no signup, we show up during raiding hours on raiding days, period. It's assumed.

But in any case, I think you can count on seeing things like chat (guild, general), auctions, mail and possibly bank access available over mobile devices (iPhone specifically) pretty soon.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 10:44AM Wgraves said

(EVE) Just let me change skills from my ipod touch, or maybe have all the station services.

I think the iphone/ipod touch thing is going to really help MMOs as it is an always on device and thus it can be very immersive as you deal with it right along side real life.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 10:59AM (Unverified) said

I was trying to think of a game that I'd actually care to have this for. Though I'm not a big fan of EVE, the way skills are trained lend itself to this technology very well. Good call.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 11:09AM (Unverified) said

Huh, I'll have to check that out.

How happy is the page on the touch? I'm not thrilled at sites I have to double-tap, pinch, rotate, etc. to get the thing to view.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 7:03PM (Unverified) said

I think MMOs should transcend the client in many ways.

Does anybody remember EQIM? The EQ chat client that logged you into EQ, and let you chat to your friends through tells, but in a sleek IM-style interface? It disappeared after it stopped getting support, but it was a step in the right direction.

I'd like to be able to check my auctions from a webpage. Or send in-game mail. Or trade items. I know that some of this is met with resistance for reasons of exploitation or need to control game traffic or whatever, but I think the MMO that will truly hook me will be the one that I can interact with outside of the client. I'm already addicted to the internet and my iPhone, if I could play, even in a limited fashion, my MMOs on the go, that would be the end of me.

I also like the idea of crafting things offline and loading them into the game, but that's another discussion altogether.

Posted: Jun 17th 2008 10:51AM (Unverified) said

I do remember EQIM and almost mentioned it. Its lifespan was so brief, though, if you blinked you might miss it.

Posted: Jun 19th 2008 8:22PM (Unverified) said

Did you know you can read your guild motd just by logging into wowarmory with your user name and pw? That's how i knew the father's day raid was cancelled.

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM