Posted: Jun 16th 2008 7:18PM RogueJedi86 said

You gave the wrong expansion name. It was "Trials of Obi-Wan" that launched with the NGE, not "Rage of the Wookiees".

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 7:20PM RogueJedi86 said

Though for your credit, "Rage of the Wookiees" launched with/around the time of the previous game changer, the Combat Upgrade(CU), in May'2005.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 7:52PM (Unverified) said

Fixed. Thanks, RogueJedi86. Man, my mmo-fu is weak today.

Posted: Jun 16th 2008 8:43PM vicryixiv said

This guy still doesnt get it. 200 people all too busy being caught up in whether or not they could do something that they didnt stop to think about if they SHOULD.

The only thing the NGE got right was the opening jailbreak with Han Solo, the millenium falcon and tansari station, which actually managed to bridge ground and space with iconic characters and room to grow into your own story. Everything the game was ALWAYS missing, no matter what CURB, CU, NGE or vanilla SWG you're talking about.

SWG is going to go down in gaming history as the ultimate cautionary tale for both developers, publishers and consumers.

Posted: Jun 17th 2008 4:00AM (Unverified) said

You know I fully expected to read that and end up getting ticked off at another developer that just doesn't get it. But I have to say I really appreciate the honesty and can't bear any ill-will towards this guy. I say this as a SWG vet who played from Day 1 until 2005, it's nice to finally hear someone say "we screwed up and ruined your game, sry bout that."

Posted: Jun 17th 2008 10:37AM KaTing said

Except, he didn't so much say "sorry" as he blamed other departments for the failure. Kind of a difference.

Posted: Jun 17th 2008 4:37PM (Unverified) said

@Boocher, no reply button beneath your post for some reason...

True he didn't outright say "sorry," and he seems to still be in denial about how cheaply hacked-up and poorly implemented the changes were. But if he still needs to lie to himself and think that he made positive changes to the game to protect his obviously huge ego that's fine with me. The main thing I took from his writing was the "we screwed it up, we made mistakes and I'm not happy with how it ended up" part. He sounds regretful and it's good to hear.

I don't honestly care anymore whether or not the people involved actually think they improved the game. I did for a long time, but not anymore. The fact that the issue still comes up daily about what a disaster the NGE is 3 years after everyone has canceled their accounts is evidence enough for me.

The nicest thing was just hearing his admittance of failure. I couldn't really ask for anything more.

Posted: Jun 27th 2008 1:19AM (Unverified) said

Un... you gave the last word to Rubenfield's partner-in-crime. They both submitted the prototype of the NGE for approval. His opinion is as valid as Rubenfield's, which to most vets who were jilted is to say, it's not.

Oh, and while I doubt that the lack of notice and corresponding launch of Trials of Obi Wan was the most frequent player complaint (that should probably go to "they have not yet released classic servers"), it is likely the most frequently used reason for possible litigation. Bait-and-switch is frowned upon in American courts, I'm told.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014