Posted: Jun 13th 2008 8:08AM (Unverified) said

Actually, when I think of "realism," I think of attempts like Vanguard, and having specs that simply kill any system. Otherwise, I've actually written a couple papers for assorted courses on how World of Warcraft's "cartoony" style, coupled with fluid and definable personality with their animations, is part of the games massive appeal worldwide that is frequently overlooked. It's not just that it's a well-structured game with addiction plateaus worse than a slot machine that can run on low-end systems, but it can also look as smooth and characteristically recognizable as an old Bugs Bunny cartoon while doing it.

So I guess to answer your first line question, I wince, but give it a shot anyway.

Posted: Jun 13th 2008 8:18AM (Unverified) said

I tend to like the more realistic style. I have no basis other than it's what Turbine seems to do and I've in general spent more time with them.

Posted: Jun 13th 2008 12:26PM Jeromai said

I like realistic graphics. Just preference. The pic on the right looks nicer to me than the one on the left.

Realism in gameplay can be taken to tedious extremes. Then it becomes "not fun."

Posted: Jun 13th 2008 1:02PM (Unverified) said

I would love to say I am indifferent, but I will admit I prefer the more fantastic representation. Both styles live or die by the game play and no amount of fantasy or realism can keep a poor game afloat. I think I tend to lean more towards fantasy for a few reasons.

It is much more difficult to create realistic animations and settings than fantastic ones. Seeing human movement and settings in our everyday lives places the bar very high for game designers. Within realistic settings we tend to compare the games, consciously or not, to our real life environment. Even with the state of technology today, designers cannot live up to what we see in our daily lives.

I applaud and am excited about seeing realistic games, such as Assassins’ Creed. It’s wonderful to become immersed in a seventeenth century European town killing evil oppressors. Therefore I think it’s great that developers are making these games and pushing the industry to create more and more realistic games, but at this point a more fantastic paintbrush seems to create smoother game play.

Between better character animations and movement and fantastic cities of dwarves and gnomes, the fantastic is where I spend my dollars. Bottom line is that the game play makes or breaks the game, while the fantastic wins for me now; I hope one day I will find myself judging on game play alone.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2008 7:48PM (Unverified) said

On PC, "realistic" usually translates to "don't even think of running this on your crappy machine", so I'm wary of anything that isn't heavily stylized, like World of Warcraft.

On console it doesn't matter too much to me - whatever best fits the tone of the game. On my SDTV, current-generation games with stylized graphics tend to look better than realistic games, probably because developers assume that a younger audience is less likely to have HDTVs.

Posted: Jun 13th 2008 2:11PM Durinthal said

As far as graphics go, I guess I prefer a less realistic style. This is mainly because so far, realism in graphics seems to mean "Lots of brown, washed-out lands."

Posted: Jun 13th 2008 2:48PM Ergonomic Cat said

The Sims and GTA (didn't expect them in combination, eh?) suggests that people enjoy playing games where you have to eat, manage relationships, etc.

Personally, I can't stand it. I'm in the camp that if a game is going to be realistic, it better be pseudo-real. Space games are best for this - they're doing fantastical stuff, which is easier. If you're doing humans, and you're going for realistic, it better be spot on - otherwise, it's worse than being bad.

And yeah, WoW's graphical style is huge in creating the atmosphere.