Posted: Jun 11th 2008 12:08PM Nadril said

It is sad to see developers get screwed on something like this. On one hand, I hated the fact that I wasted all that money on Hellgate:London due to the devlopers constant "this will be fixed by release!" attitude to the numerous bugs and crashes.

However, Hellgate:London in all senses of the word failed hard. It's a perfect example of how a bad technical start will and can destroy your game. I played the game for a little bit, couple weeks maybe. Had a 45 "guardian" or whatever the tank class was -- but the truth was their nightmare mode was horrible. It turned from a fairly fun game to just a grind, essentially.

This is ignoring all the tech problems though. I would crash every 30 minutes in the game, or constantly have HUGE memory leaks which would bog down my system. Sure, the game was pretty good looking but it ran horrible. While I'm sure they've fixed the issues, by now, it's too late for them.

Either way good luck with some of the various dev's and whatever they plan to do. In concept Hellgate:London sounded awesome, and I still remember some of the previews about it.

Posted: Jun 11th 2008 12:11PM (Unverified) said

I wonder what this means for Mythos? For the record I am not a big fan of the recent overhaul to the game and the Overworld.

Posted: Jun 11th 2008 12:10PM Slob Zombie said

Does this affect Mythos at all?

Posted: Jun 11th 2008 12:54PM (Unverified) said

Funny this should be posted today.

Not satisfied with AoC, the work that needs to be done on it, and the constant stealth changes and nerfs, I've decided to put that game aside and go back and give Hellgate another shot, since the bugs should be worked out.

Now I see a depressing post like this. I hope it's not true, like I've found some of your other posts to be, since I think Hellgate does have a future, and they could easily get programmers if they really wanted, there are tons of them all over the world.

I know if they jump ship now, they'll never get another player to ever purchase a game they make. Roper and the rest of the guys will forever be remembered as the one's who lied to us, stole our money, and then closed down. It would be unforgivable to me.

Posted: Jun 11th 2008 1:05PM (Unverified) said

Maybe they can get their old jobs back at Blizzard and bring us Diablo 3...

Posted: Jun 11th 2008 1:55PM (Unverified) said

Maybe they did... O.o

Posted: Jun 11th 2008 7:05PM (Unverified) said

here's the official statement from the flagship studios about the rumors:

Hello,
I would like to respond to some of the recent coverage that Flagship Studios has received as a result of the publication of Guy Somberg's blog.

Everyone has good days and bad days. Guy was having a bad day. It was his friend's last day of internship and he found out another friend was thinking of leaving. He vented, exaggerated, and posted information that was inaccurate.

We will be the first to admit that Hellgate: London did launch with some problems. The game would certainly have benefited from a couple more months in the oven, but as an independent developer we didn't have the ability to delay our ship date. It can be difficult to stand by and see something that you put your heart and soul into, week in and week out, get the initial reception Hellgate got. It can put a strain on any developer and some days it can get to you. Thankfully, after some very hard work by all the people here, including Guy, the game is much better now and we believe in the future of Hellgate.

Both our studios are currently fully staffed, with our San Francisco studio working on ongoing content for Hellgate: London and our Seattle studio working on our free-to-play MMORPG, Mythos, which should go into open beta within the next couple months. In total, we have over 100 employees working for both studios. As is typical in the industry, after a game is released some people naturally want to work on something else and they leave the company to do so. But in total we have had less than 10% turn-over and have rehired for all needed positions.

All our Directors and Founders are still working at Flagship, and all of them are working on Hellgate: London or Mythos. The team size for Hellgate is as big now as when we shipped. We are putting all of our efforts into these projects and I think it will show in the upcoming Hellgate Abyss Chronicles.

Sincerely,