Posted: Jun 4th 2008 11:46AM (Unverified) said

I only play MMO's with my RL friends, and in the same room. I think that's why I like DDO so much. DDO REQUIRES voice chat to be effective (traps and such), so the couple of times we've raided and been in large groups it's worked out well, as a screaming 10 year old just can't handle that level of complexity. That's not saying 10 year olds don't play, they just don't raid.

I feel you though, when people are liabilities on your fun, it's a bummer.

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 2:39PM Seraphina Brennan said

Yeah... it's amazing how some people can just be downright nasty in online spaces. I mean... is being nasty even fun? I tried it once... and it just didn't feel kosher. I ended up apologizing to the guy afterwards. XD

And as for DDO... I love the trap system. You're right, it really does make you communicate and talk. Otherwise the thief is going to notice a secret door and the rest of the party is going to be wandering around blinding, running into orcs.

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 12:34PM GRT said

Nice post, but of course I have to take exception to a few points:

"Don't scream at a player just because he's not doing his job right -- try to help them out instead."

Totally agree with part 1, but part 2 gets dicey at times. There's little more annoying then someone trying to micro-manage how you're playing your character, no matter how well-intended they are. Granted there are some absolutes, but many parts of a game support more than 1 way of doing things, and your way is often not the only "right" way. Everyone is there to play a game and have fun, not to be a puppet on a string.

As an example, I was in a small guild in WOW and we did regular runs of some of the 5-man instances quite successfully. Then we had a new guy join the guild. He was from a high-end raiding guild, and he immediately took control and started telling the priest how to heal (he was a tank). Our priest, trying to be welcoming to the new guy, tried some of his suggestions. Suddenly these 5-man instances got a lot harder, and after we wiped a few times he announced that it was impossible to succeed with our healer, making her feel like crap (again, in spite of the fact that we'd had these instances down to a routine before he joined). Guild leader finally had to intercede and tell the newbie to calm down or find another guild.

He had been successful in his old guild with his old healer playing a certain way. We'd been successful with our healer playing a certain way. Both healers were playing the "right" way for them and their groups, even though they were apparently very different styles.

Next point:
"Laugh, talk, tell jokes, be social! There are few things worse than people who can't lighten up when playing a game."

That's really subjective and it depends again on who you're playing with. I don't mind a silent, capable party-mate. I really do mind the idiot cracking Chuck Norris jokes and jumping around constantly and telling Hilary Clinton jokes. I'm in the game to get away from the real world, thanks very much.

I'd suggest rather that you take your cues from the rest of the party. If they seem like they're 'being their character' then keep the jokes to a minimum, or at least within the context of the characters and gameworld. If they're all constantly referring to "their toon" then you're probably good to joke around about whatever you want.

Thanks for your series of posts, Colin. Always an interesting read.

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 1:11PM Nadril said

I do agree with some of your points (although how many ways is there for a priest to heal in WoW? XD)

About the talking bit though I do like it when the entire group is actively talking. For one I know this means they are involved in what is going on in the group, and it creates a friendly atmosphere. So many times I've grouped with a group who was mostly silent, and when the shit went down (bad pull or whatever) everyone just left.

Communication is important, IMO, to a successful group run. Plus it relieves the tedium sometimes of running an instance and you'd be supprised how much less often complaints of "ninja looter!" and other small complaints get thrown around when the entire party is engaged in a conversation.

And really that's where a lot of my good memories of MMOs come from. All of my memories come from the funny conversations that popped up, or the excitement of killing a difficult boss. I remember when my guild had killed archi for the first time (I quit the game at this point) they had something pretty funny:

(at 5%) Guild leader: Ok guys no screaming on vent please.
Someone: Is moaning ok?
Leader: sure
Everyone on vent: *Moooan* XD

I don't mind the quiet type though if they are good. Often times I just won't feel like talking to the group so I can understand.

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 2:36PM Seraphina Brennan said

I kinda just assumed subjectivity would be applied to my points. XD I guess I should never assume, right?

Yeah, I totally understand what it's like when someone gets in a groove that may not be totally accepted by a "better" player. In WoW, I was a 64 Retribution Paladin. Everyone tells me Ret blows, but I get through things just fine with my party.

So, I totally think people who find their own ways of doing things, and then have it work out, are awesome people. They're the ones willing to experiment and get things right on their own terms, and not just look it up on a forum somewhere and blindly follow.

As for being social... if you're in a roleplaying party, obviously don't start making Chuck Norris jokes. In fact, in general, everyone should just avoid the Chuck Norris jokes. Lol.

But, no, you brought up some great points to add to mine. Temperance is always something to be applied.

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 2:40PM Seraphina Brennan said

Nadril: Ha ha, awesome story. Yes, those are the great moments I'm talking about. The ones you like to relate to others because they're just so perfect.

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 2:31PM (Unverified) said

I'm gonna side with Colin on your two arguments GRT.

You get in a group where some "new guy" is trying to run the group, all you have to do is be frank with him, no need to get pissy man. it's a game. Say, "Hey, this is how we've been doing things. If you don't like them you're welcome to leave." That's helping him out, making him learn bullying in a group is not welcome. Don't treat people like crap when they're just thinking they're helping out. You always have the option not to group with someone.

The other point where you try to counter Colin saying "Laugh, talk tell jokes and be social" is subjective. It is exactly that, subjective. You can't be subjective playing a game anymore? Yeah I don't like grouping with people that have poor senses of humor either, so guess what? I don't. But what Colin is saying, that when you open your mouth and chat a little, you might find that your grouped with people who DO talk about interesting things, can seperate the game from real life, and add a little humor into things will make for a better playing experience.

Remember, you have the option not to group with anyone you don't want to. I can usually tell within 5 minutes joining or forming a group, the personality types within it and whether the group or certain players are worth adventuring with.

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 2:37PM Seraphina Brennan said

Agreed Xel. Subjectivity is important in being social. Plus, if things just really aren't working out, we always have the /ignore and /leave.

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 4:05PM GRT said

@Xel:

Wow, who said anything about getting pissy? Or treating anyone like crap? This fellow joined our guild, we gave him a few weeks to find his place amongst us, with everyone trying to be include him on runs and so forth. He continued to insist that the way his old guild did things was the right way, and we continued to wipe over and over on instances that used to be cake. No one was ever mean to the guy, but eventually the Guild Leader had to tell him that he needed to lighten up. Where do you get pissy or treating like crap from that?

I really don't think Colin needs you to defend him, because no one was attacking him.

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 3:26PM Arkanaloth said

well said.. well said....

Posted: Jun 5th 2008 2:38AM (Unverified) said

It's a good article, that. I am one of the many currently experiencing AoC: Over last weekend I've been fortunate enough to have landed in not one, not two, but three groups whose members I've pretty much all added to my list of friends. It might just be me, and I'm sure it's merely a matter of time, but I'm yet to meet a real idiot in my travels. The people I was grouping with were smart, intelligent, and forgiving, and we helped each other out a lot. Then we became carebears and shot colourful rays out of our stomach. =P

Given the more dynamic nature of healing in AoC, people are prone to be in either one of two camps: one wonders why the healer is standing so close to the melee, and urges them to step back; and the other realises that being a healer in AoC is a lot less about healbotting and a lot more about being the most physically active on the field of battle than anyone else. On-the-fly medic! =D

That said, it's always a great pleasure to find you have someone of a similar mindset in a group, and similar humour (with which I don't mean Chuck Norris Jokes & Co). Call me a pernickety bastard, but spelling is something I put a great deal of emphasis on, and if I can read what someone is trying to say without having to recourse to urbandictionary, then it's more likely I'll enjoy questing with them. The quality of communication, and how people react to departures from expected results, is a good gauge on how fun your group is.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM