Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 9:11AM Tiran Kenja said

I choose 'other' because there is no 'both'.

Right now I play LotRO and it has in-game VoiP for fellowships(/groups/parties). And that's great for PUGs - except it is pretty hard to get the volumes right.

But for kinship(/guild/clan) stuff it is more viable to use something external. The tools are better for more consistent volume. And it is easier to get people organized as it don't even require everyone to be in-game, much less being in one fellowship.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 3:43PM Riggs said

I also use both...can't believe that wasn't an option???
Same reasons...in-game for PUFs in LOTRO or PUSs in TR, etc...and private Vent server for friends chat, etc...

Also, use the in-game in DDO for weekly dedicated group...

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 9:16AM Boruk said

The problem I see, is that people are just too used to thw other types of voice systems. I tried out Blizzards in-game system and it works for me, but others I know didn't have great experiences.

Maybe as the technology for games to have a better set up on how they can "tweak" the in game version gets better, we might see a decline on the usage of out of game servers.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 9:21AM Pylades said

I'm sure that part of it, at least with World of Warcraft, is that the game was out for three years before in-game voice chat was available. So anyone who wanted to use voice chat already had an outside solution.

For my guild, I know that people just weren't happy with the in-game voice client. The sound quality was lower than our Ventrilo server, so we kept using Ventrilo.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 11:12AM (Unverified) said

If you lose your connection to the game, Vent usually keeps running. That way you can let your teammates know what happened and maybe they can recover before a wipe.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 1:37PM (Unverified) said

Well... just like Tiran... we use the built in voice chat in EVE (Vivox) and its better than the Vent server we used to use. We still use Teamspeak for LOTRO though because the sound quality of their built VOIP is pretty bad. We'd use built in voice if it was decent tho

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 3:18PM (Unverified) said

I play WoW and have used both. For serious raiding, I lean towards Vent for the reason "Anon" above mentioned. But for PuGs I use the in-game option. I don't like it, I can NEVER get the volumes right (I have to turn the in-game sounds WAAAAAAAAY down and leave the voice up all the way, and then crank my PC speakers to make things audible, and then any time anything outside of the game happens, my ears bleed XD), but I'd rather deal with that than giving out private Vent server info.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014