Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 6:48PM (Unverified) said

NCSoft used to make you fill out a survey when you left CoH/CoV. Not sure if they still do, as I no longer have an active account that I wish to cancel.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 6:51PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, NCsoft was mentioned when I informally polled people around here but someone told me it was an optional survey.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 6:50PM Teiraa said

SOE also has exit surveys for quite some time now (probably longer than Blizzard). In the beginning they were compulsory and quite annoying, but I think they have learned from their mistakes meanwhile.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 6:51PM (Unverified) said

I don't think the compulsory part is a bad thing at all, provided it's very short and painless. I think what Blizzard does is fine.

I really don't think many people would bother with the survey, given the option, which gives you a skewed picture of why people leave.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 6:53PM Teiraa said

No, compulsory isn't necessary bad. But the SOE ones initially were compulsory "and" bad (i. e. long and full of strange questions). :)

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 8:38PM Boruk said

I forget which game it was, but there was a game that offered partial refunds for time left on the account for filling out a form on why you were leaving. Was a good way to get some pretty usseful information about any problems they had with the game.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2008 11:35AM Arkanaloth said

you know.. after hopping from several MMO's I find this article really hits the nail on the head. I have a WoW account but don't play it much (haven't really logged in since Nov.) I find myself playing GW more than ever after getting Nightfall and I'm actually on the verger of nixing my WoW account. This article made me ask the question "why", and the reason isn't gameplay.. it's really the social sphere that's doing it.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2008 11:44AM HadesLotD said

Games require organized groups to advance and get the best stuff.

Games limit good stuff drops and it takes months to gear out a guild while doing the same crap over and over.

Every person that quits the guild causes those who remain to have to gear up a replacement, and run even more of the boring instances/dungeons. Eventually they burn out and quit.

Too many games penalize you for outleveling your friends, and provide little to no in game tools for you to help them once they are out leveled.

Adding group members often reduces your exp per hour, so people dislike grouping unless they actually have no choice. This is a factor whether you have a guild or not.

IMHO they should add exp bonuses for grouping.

All the surveys in the world, but its the social and guild issues that cost them the most customers. Generally when a guild leaves a game, the company loses 90% of the guild membership and the revenues they generated. LotD is 150 members, so when we leave it costs a game company $27,000 a year of lost revenue (assuming $15 per month sub).

Games need to be more guild friendly if they want guilds to hang around.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2008 11:48AM HadesLotD said

Oh yeah.........

Soulbound, no-trade, and level restricted items prevent members from passing down stuff to other members. That forces everyone into their own personal hell of gear grinding that simply isn't fun.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2008 1:12PM (Unverified) said

Even though it causes MUDflation, I really enjoy passing down twink items to my alts. That used to be one of my favorite parts of EverQuest in the Kunark and Velious era: twinking out a newbie in level 50ish gear and kicking the crap out of lowbie dungeons with my brother.