Posted: May 30th 2008 7:03PM (Unverified) said

Wow, that's awesome. I love the Tome exploring bit. It's kind of like the POIs in SWG, people would spend days just driving around looking for them because they could (or thought it was needed to become a Jedi). I love that type of stuff, but now I'm going to do my first public quest naked probably.

Posted: May 31st 2008 10:10AM (Unverified) said

The tome of knowledge was very successful in the beta, and there is still time to refine it, so it should be perfect by the time the game is released (fall of september).

If anyone is hungry some some warhammer videos, i suggest you checkout http://warhammeronline.tv

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 7:17PM (Unverified) said

Wow....she talked a lot. He only got 2 questions off. Still an excellent read, tho. I'm with you on the naked PQ!

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 3:58AM (Unverified) said

The "Tome of Knowledge" is exactly what Lord of the Rings Online has.

EXACTLY.

I wonder why that wasn't mentioned?

Posted: Jun 4th 2008 8:05AM (Unverified) said

Mythor, my apologies, but you are incorrect.

The Tome bears only a passing resemblance to what LOTRO offers. LOTRO has a great system, no doubt about it, but I think of the LOTRO lorebook as a much more traditional MMO questing system.

The Tome is far more like Xbox Live Achievements than anything I've ever seen in an MMO before. The unlocks come fast and thick at you, with no need on your part to 'okay' them or seek them out. They also offer far more as rewards than just titles; rewards for completing Tome quests includes XP, new character abilities, titles, items ... it's pretty crazy.

Posted: Jun 5th 2008 11:54AM (Unverified) said

I'll grant that "exactly the same" may have been an overstatement, but the fact is they're actually very, very similar, going purely on your description of the Tome.
You can't get items from completing LOTRO "achievements" (as far as I can recall) nor completely new abilities, but you can get traits which can add additional effects to existing abilities, plus you get XP when you complete them, titles for some, too.

You describe exploring out of the way places and getting a Tome entry for that. LOTRO has exploration entries like that.
You describe killing monsters and getting monster kill unlocks. LOTRO has that.
Quest completes? LOTRO has that.
LOTRO doesn't start you off with an entry saying "Kill 10 goblins". But once you kill a goblin, you can see that you'll get a title for doing it. And then a trait if you kill 100. You don't walk up to a hobbit and ask for the quest, it's automatic... just like you're saying WAR's is.

Maybe WAR has a lot more of them, or there's a better variety of rewards or what have you, but it's still not "unlike anything seen in other MMO titles." It's what LOTRO has been doing for a good long while now.
That is not a bad thing, but it really should have been acknowledged and not talked about like this was a stunning revolution in MMO gaming. It simply isn't.

Posted: Jun 10th 2008 7:16PM (Unverified) said

Mythor, you act like LOTRO reinvented the wheel or something. There are a lot of similarities and differences. They have a powerful IP just like LOTRO and it just makes sense to add some lore to the game beyond the bare basics.

EQ2 has titles for killing mobs. Does that mean LOTRO should have given them credit for this? Every game will take ideas from other successful games and will add their own ideas as well.

I would like extra abilities, titles, achievements, etc(bonuses) to keep me interested and absorbed in the game. Unlockables are a great bonus to even some bad Xbox games. Why not include them and why would anyone want to say, " hey I copied this other guy for inspiration". Come off that high horse.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM