Posted: May 27th 2008 5:06PM (Unverified) said

Great article! I recently took a wow break and am looking for something new/different to do. I am torn between buying AOC tonight when I land and be part of the super exciting new group of people blazing a trail, or wait and hear some post level 20 information. I hear they broke 400,000 subscribers, so that says a bit for the potential community, and the 17+ age "limit" doesn't hurt either. I guess I've wasted $50.00 before.

On another note, I sometimes game on my laptop when I travel.. WOW lets you load multiple copies, as does Steam etc. Also what about running on a 8600 video card?

Posted: May 27th 2008 5:17PM (Unverified) said

Great review. I've waited a long time for an MMO that's not just another level treadmill. A decent story and a semi-mature audience are a welcome addition to the genre.

Posted: May 27th 2008 5:26PM (Unverified) said

@Slago:

I'm a WoW refugee who's enjoying AoC a lot. That said, it is early in its life. There are bugs. There are annoyances. There is a certain lack of polish in many areas, particularly the UI.

Some examples, off the top of my head: mail/auction house/banking has been offline since the early access program, and there is no published timetable for when it will be back. Server downtime is relatively frequent and often unannounced. There is no way to know which quests you share with members of your group. Group members only appear on your map if they are very close to you. You can't exit out to the character select screen. Classes are not as balanced as they surely will be down the road. The Guardian's charge ability sometimes causes them to rezone. The economy appears shaky (at level 40, when you are allowed to buy a mount, you will probably only have 10-15% of the money you need to buy one).

If you wait 6-12 months, you will find a more refined game, for sure. But is definitely playable and enjoyable now, with a touch of patience.

Posted: May 28th 2008 12:49AM (Unverified) said

This is such drivel. While the day and night balance is definitely a new element, it's nothing more than different colored spots on the same old cow.

Kevin, did you make it to level 15 without having to kill 20 snakes and 20 scorpions? Because I sure as heck didn't. I wonder if Conan ever had to kill 20 snakes and 20 scorpions.

Posted: May 28th 2008 12:52AM sleepybrett said

I myself found Tortage, the single and multiplayer (day/night) questlines uniformly boring, grindy and unoriginal.

Posted: May 28th 2008 12:59AM Anatidae said

I dunno.

Personally I am not sure if I am going to pay a subscription to play a largely single-player game. Even when not in a single player instance, I still find myself soloing too much.

I perfer my MMOs to be MASSIVE Multiplayer Online games. By that, I want one large world we all explore, not 100 instances of a town. I had that in Guild Wars and though that is a good game too, it still feels like a game.

UO, EQ, DAOC, WOW, etc... they all feel like large worlds. I am looking forward to WAR and hoping they don't instance it all up into small pieces.

Posted: May 28th 2008 11:57AM (Unverified) said

OMG the instancing... it's such an immersion breaker... Whatever immersion they manage to get with the boring and grinding single-player story, it's gone when you realize you won't be able to explore anything at all.
I REALLY hope WAR doesn't instance the world... :S

Posted: May 28th 2008 5:49PM (Unverified) said

The author of this got one thing right, AoC is nothing more than a 14 year old's wet dream. It is a game for immature kids, for sure.

Posted: May 31st 2008 2:53PM GenBanks said

I really disagree with that, I've found it great so far. I haven't met anyone in my guild who is younger than 18 yet, although I'm sure there are plenty of teens on judging by OOC. But what MMO doesn't have? '14 year old's wet dream' was referring to one specific thing, the game is hardly sexualised at all, especially compared to your typical film with an 18 rating (or even a 15 rating!). The only reason why it seems sexualised is because of the WoW comparison. Just because there are some scantily clad women doesn't mean that the game is for immature hormonal teens.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 7:09AM (Unverified) said

Having dabbled in a couple of classes and tried out a bunch of day and nighttime quests around Tortage I find this AoC to be a great start to something that I think I'd like to play more.

As has been pointed out there's plenty of problems as AoC hurtles through its launch days. I find the entire chat interface for instance horribly unintuitive, often not seeing what someone is writing in OOC, or group chat due to glitches and such.
I was abit surprised at the very obvious class differences when it came to handling mobs in the first few quests. Like the "Pict Threat" quest for instance (pun intended) where I first played through it as a Assassin and then as a Herald of Xotli. As an assassin I could murderize a single pict, but then his scantily clad buddies would tear me apart in a second. As the HoX I not only killed one Pict, but his friends burned to a crisp mere moments later. I appreciated the difference, but I was abit taken aback by the stark contrast between the two classes.
I'm also abit annoyed that stealthing through a instance level doesn't really give you anything so you end up slaughtering everyone anyway, I find it cheapens the stealth bit since I'd use it to get the jump on the first enemy and then fight his 4 buddies. Skipping them means less loot and XP.
And since we're on stealthing it seems that NPC's have eyes in the back of their heads and often randomly spot me from afar. Not to mention the "You are being observed" bug; the eyes of my slain enemies staring into my soul inhibiting my ability to stealth (dead enemies often still "count" as being there so you can't stealth since they are "watching you"...creepy, right?)
I'd prefer a more "browseresque" help guide as opposed to the tabbed version that is currently in effect, makes searching for things tedious.

But with the bad comes the good and there's plenty of good for me. I appreciate the mature rating, something just so...relaxing to see a two handed sword do to a persons skull what two handed swords SHOULD do. The fatality system is neat though the chain kill system feels bugged (I've often killed several enemies with the same combo, or one after another and sometimes its a chain kill sometimes not).
I look forward to it when my friends are Conan certified (RAM and new screencards galore) and we can all jump in and run around in our skippies chasing Picts with our large sharp swords.

Posted: Jun 9th 2008 7:25PM (Unverified) said

Hopefully the community from anarchy online carrries over. That game has a much more mature base than wow, and it was another funcom creation.

Posted: Jun 9th 2008 8:46PM (Unverified) said

Zapraszam na polskie forum gry:

The Daily Grind: I'll miss you, Vanguard

Posted on Jul 31st 2014 8:00AM

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM