Posted: May 27th 2008 11:11AM (Unverified) said

Age of Conan is probably the best MMO ever relased. Its launch was the smoothest out of any other MMO I have played in recent years. I just hope all the little kids from WoW don't jump over to AOC because of the nudity and violence... I just hope they don't take over AOC like they did to WoW...

Posted: May 27th 2008 11:11AM Crsh said

I've been playing for a week now and I like the game; some stuff is buggy, some stuff is broken, it doesn't really bother me as I'm focusing on leveling my character.

I'm sorry to say this about a portion of my fellow gamers, but some immature kids have been trying to tear Funcom a new one in the past week. Everything from buggy content, to "omg it crashes all the time, my 486 really isn't that old!" to whining about broken promises.

Endless whining, unrealistic expectations, rudeness and asshatery non-stop. Is this the negative feedback the press is starting to pick up on? I hope not.

I can't honestly say everything is where it should be with AoC, there's room for constructive criticism, but these kids are the trash of the gaming community and they need to be ignored (let alone the simple fact that they shouldn't even be playing that game in the first place, thank you irresponsible parents around the world).

Posted: May 27th 2008 11:33AM GRT said

Well spoken, crsh.

To others who're actually playing. How much nudity have you seen? I've seen exactly one asshat playing a topless female character, and saw him once.

Now granted the themes are adult. Quests to avenge women who've been raped (though I note they never say the word "rape") and so forth. But as far as the visual nudity is concerned, it seems to be way overblown.

I'm having a lot of fun playing. The only reason the controversy concerns me at all is that I want the game to do well enough that Funcom can channel more money into it and continue to improve upon it.

I don't know what it is about the official forums, but they're a real cesspit, even when compared to other official forums. Grant MMO forum denizens tend to be pretty vile as a sub-species of interweb citizens, but the AoC make other games' forums seem civil and supportive.

Posted: May 27th 2008 1:08PM Seraphina Brennan said

I really haven't seen too much nudity at all during the game. Just the few people who think it's hilarious to run around topless. *shrugs* That's on Wiccana though, and my experience with Wiccana is that people are a bit friendlier than the average server, but I doubt that is going to last for long.

Posted: May 27th 2008 11:44AM Nadril said

As far as nudity, there is one instance (Pyramid in Khopshef) where once you kill the guards a bunch of nude whores come running for the exit XD. It's pretty damned funny actually, but thats the most I've seen in the game.

And the forums are horrible. I read them for about 15 minutes a few days ago and just couldn't believe some people. Every thread resulted into mindless trolling, pitiful.

Posted: May 27th 2008 11:44AM design1stcode2nd said

Right on the mark. I have kids, young ones but even if they were 13 or 14 I wouldn’t let them watch me play AoC. It’s part of being a responsible adult. There are many other games for them but few games for grown ups. It’s about time there was.

Also wasn’t Mortal Kombat just as bad with its fatalities and that was what 15 years ago? Along with being viewable by any kid in an arcade.

Personally I’d like to see a version for 18 or 21 and over that fully explores adult themes.

Posted: May 27th 2008 12:12PM Pagan said

There's not that much nudity in AoC. It sure as hell isn't blatant and used for shock value. I love AoC for it's Mature content. The writing is adult, the dialog is adult, it's just refreshing. And as the author stated much truer to RE Howard's works because of the M rating. If you can't handle boobs at 17, well please see a shrink. If your playing AoC and under 17, that's your parents fault, not the game industry.

Puritans, please stick with Hello Kitty World and leave our art alone!

Great editorial.

Posted: May 27th 2008 12:55PM (Unverified) said

Don't mock Hello Kitty until you play Hello Kitty Meets Leisure Suit Larry In The Hairy White Pussy Of Doom.

Posted: May 27th 2008 12:52PM (Unverified) said

The adult theme doesn't bother me, that is exactly what I expected, if anything I thought it was a bit tame.

My issue is that I bought the game thinking that I was going to be part of something larger. And maybe that is my fault, but the way the PvP was described I thought it was going to be along the lines of WAR or DAoC.

Does the game deliver on great graphics, a decent launch, etc. yup...But what I haven't seen is it's long term sustainability once you max out on gear. But hey, I'm not 80 yet, so there is more to see, but I think this game is caught up in it's own hype, it was meant to be all things to all people, and it can't possibly deliver n that.

Posted: May 27th 2008 5:46PM Nadril said

IMO we will see more of this once more players are 80. Remember that there is the entire border kingdom that will have massive castle sieges and on-going PvP. Plus, once more guilds build up their cities we'll have sieges on those as well.

Just got to be patient and let everyone get up.

Posted: May 27th 2008 5:00PM (Unverified) said

I've seen one person with their top off, and that was at the start of the game, outside the city.

Of course I took off my own characters top to check myself out, but then that was in private. You know, I just had to check "them" out.

But otherwise, boobies hasn't come up much.

Violence though... woowee... this game has lots of that. Maybe I'm just playing a violent class, but blood and heads flying everywhere.

But in reality, we all have nipples, and violence is just a part of our nature, and a huge part of human history. We are violent people throughout history, and it continues to this day.

But as violent as AoC is, it still doesn't come close to the level in the latest Rambo movie, which was about the most graphic movie I've seen, and I've seen a lot of them.