Posted: May 25th 2008 7:19AM (Unverified) said

I'll be honest: coverage like this helps meandering players like myself find such a game, and look into it. It's really hard in all din and clatter of the cluttered market to stumble across new games and give them a decent shot.

Posted: May 25th 2008 7:25AM (Unverified) said

Well, you're stumbling across a very, very old game in this case; it was the first 3D MMO, and debuted way back in 1996. But don't let that stop you! I definitely recommend giving it a shot. It's not aged all that well in some ways but I still insist it's one of the best. It's a piece of history, at least.

Posted: May 25th 2008 7:31AM (Unverified) said

Good to know, thanks! My professor will love me looking into "historical" MMOs, and come chat with him about things regarding it. It'll be interesting to see what lessons, if any, this game has learned, and more easy to tell, which ones it hasn't. I'm starting to see certain patterns of play developing while being an MMOmad. To some extent, wandering back to old games I've played has become more interesting than just settling down.

Perhaps it's just my own personal rejection to WoWestern society taking hold though. ^_^

Posted: May 25th 2008 2:21PM (Unverified) said

It's definitely one of the best. As Samuel said, it's dated in some ways... but to this day is has one of the best player progression systems, and the PvP is still king in my opinion.

I'm still amazed by the players and their dedication to the game. Meridian is small, but moments like the one I witnessed in the story make it a success as far as I go.

Posted: May 27th 2008 5:05PM (Unverified) said

I too have to agree that M59 has the best PvP out there. In some ways, it's probably the 12 years of balancing and upgrades that makes its PvP far better than all these new MMOs that keep coming out and dying off in less than two years.

And, er, one major mistake in this article:
Revenant is the one running the pirate server, not one of the vigilantes that attacked it...

Posted: May 28th 2008 9:19PM (Unverified) said

I apologize for the mistake; I must have misunderstood the details in my conversation with Psychochild. I've noted the error in the post. Thanks for pointing it out.

By the way, are you Gar from 3DO 108? I think I might remember you. I went by Sindar, I believe. It was a long time ago and I was very young, so I don't remember it all too well!

Posted: May 27th 2008 9:39PM (Unverified) said

People who cry about their accounts being banned or terimanted and say OH it wasnt me it was the person i shared it with. Well you trusted that person with your account, and are just as liable as that person that cheated/hacked or whatever that got it banned. And anyways sharing an account is enough reason for account termination so I dont know why Rev wouldnt cry that story to NDS. And yeah Rev is running the pirate server and has been the one of very few to manage to ruin the game for a lot of people.

Posted: Jul 8th 2008 12:16PM (Unverified) said

started back in 96 or in that area, but yes, Meridian was and still is far as politics, if only put modern graphics this game would be back on top and couldnt probably make enough space, its size would let you do to the game what no other massive player can do. JMO.

just started back and will support NDS, just wish they would get back involved and show some intrist therself, but for now, its building time.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM