Posted: May 19th 2008 4:51PM (Unverified) said

Actually I'd like to point out a few errors here.

First in regards to the "extra cost" of xbox live. Microsoft had the forsight that eventually MMO's would make their way onto their console and so enabled online play for mmo's with only a silver level xbox live account, which is 100% free. Ask anyone who plays FFXI on their 360.

Second, the Xbox 360 DOES support keyboards. And while Funcom won't likely require a keyboard for the 360 version of the game, I'd bet my lunch money they'll support one.

Other than that, I totally agree with the other pro's and con's of each platform.

Posted: May 19th 2008 5:07PM (Unverified) said

Thanks much for the corrections Cyph3r.

Posted: May 19th 2008 5:17PM (Unverified) said

Does anyone know how a keyboard would work while playing a game on a 360? Can you use a mouse with one? I've seen various dongles (tee hee) that you can plug into a 360's USB ports that supposedly allow you to use mice and keyboards and whatnot. Has anyone here used this type of setup? I'm assuming the game itself has to have a feature built in to support this type of control interface.

If you could use a keyboard / mouse interface with the 360 version of AOC, how would you feel about that? I imagine if your 360 is setup in a desktop setting it wouldn't be bad, but I would think using one with a TV in a living room might be awkward.

Posted: May 19th 2008 8:06PM (Unverified) said

There are indeed dongles that will allow you to use a mouse and keyboard, but they also make the 360 believe that your mouse & keyboard is a gamepad.

The 360 already has the ability to use a keyboard; you can plug one in and use it to input text when sending messages and the like, so adding keyboard support is just a matter of hooking into those APIs. Now, whether MS makes this easy inside of a game without breaking the flow is another question entirely - any time I can recall entering text in a game (eg Forza 2, Oblivion), it's via a standardized interface that slides in like (and more likely, is part of) the 360 dashboard.

Posted: May 19th 2008 6:22PM (Unverified) said

Good comparison. One other thing I'd point is that hard drive space is cheap and easy to add on a PC, while it's expensive and limited on a 360, with most owners only having 20GB drives. It's not hard to imagine Age of Conan, after a few years of patches and expansions, eating up at least 5GB (on top of almost that much on the DVD).

Also, reading from a disc is quite a bit slower than reading from a hard drive, so there could be significant load times when porting or hearthstoning.

Posted: May 19th 2008 6:27PM (Unverified) said

Excellent points House. MMOs on consoles might really drive up peripheral sales (hard drives, keyboards, mice, etc.).

Posted: May 19th 2008 8:26PM GRT said

I can't imagine playing this with a joypad. How do you bind all the attacks and combos and potions and stuff when you have so few buttons?

How does it work in FF XI?

Posted: May 20th 2008 12:28AM (Unverified) said

Have u not heard of the 360 messenger chatpad?

Posted: May 20th 2008 9:27AM (Unverified) said

I think you're completely ignorant about purchasing PC gaming components.

Posted: May 20th 2008 6:09PM (Unverified) said

@House - "It's not hard to imagine Age of Conan, after a few years of patches and expansions, eating up at least 5GB " - the compressed install alone is 14 gigs, not sure what it expands to, and I've downloaded a gig of patches in the last three days (early access).

Posted: May 26th 2008 2:46PM (Unverified) said

You should be able to use a USB keyboard with the 360 version no problem.

I used one with Final Fantasy XI for over a year. I moved my character with the 360 controller, and only only really used the keyboard for chatting, but I'm pretty sure it could do everything the PC version could do with a keyboard.

It might have something to do with FFXI installing on the 360 HDD, but Conan could do that too. In fact, with 30GB or so needed for the PC version, I don't really see how it can run on the 360 without installing.

Phantasy Star Universe 360 also allows you to chat with a USB keyboard.

Posted: Jun 20th 2008 1:09PM (Unverified) said

What i was thinking was that for 360 they could do kind of what Square-Enix did for FFXI on ps2... They could sell the game pre-installed on a external USB hard drive, we'll say 100gb and that would take care of drive space, wouldnt have to run on disc, and when the expansion would come out you could download (may take a while) and it would install on that.

Also within a couple of updates you could probably use mouse and keyboard. That would be a lot less hassle. But it would probably be around $80 to do so.

Posted: Aug 4th 2008 9:38PM (Unverified) said

Honestly, even IF the Xbox 360 supported Mouse / Keyboard, why would you even want to do that?

If I'm going to be using a keyboard and mouse, I'd rather be playing on my PC.

That's just my opinion.