Other features include new free-to-play features, new scenarios for single-player gaming, the Monk, Coercer, Templar and Beastlord classes, and even a new raid encounter. Chel'drak the dragon turtle sounds like a fitting followup to Chardok, the current raid event in-game. We'll have more details on Oathbreaker as they become available. In the meantime, you can check out our gallery of Oathbreaker's art or read on below the cut for the official press release.
EVERQUEST® FRANCHISE ONLINE STRATEGY GAME LEGENDS OF NORRATH™ RESHUFFLES THE DECK WITH NEW CARD SET
Fourth Set, Oathbreaker, Release Precedes World Championship Event at Gen Con Indy 2008
DENVER – May 19, 2008 – The first four-set block of the heroic Norrathian storyline for the popular online strategy game Legends of Norrath™ (LoN) is nearly complete!
Sony Online Entertainment LLC announced today that Oathbreaker is currently in development and scheduled to launch on Thursday, June 19, 2008. Featuring hundreds of new cards and gameplay features, Oathbreaker not only completes the Inquisitor story arc which originated with LoN's first set, Oathbound – it's also the last LoN release before the $100,000 World Championship event at Gen Con Indy, August 14-17!
"Oathbreaker has played a significant role in the sequence of Legends of Norrath development both internally and with the player community," said Scott Martins, director of development, SOE Denver. "With over 250 new cards to enhance your strategies, Oathbreaker is a perfect point to jump into the game, just in time for the monthly Legends of Norrath Championship Series, which is set to culminate in August in Indianapolis at Gen Con Indy 2008. At that event, 32 players will share a total prize pool of $100,000!"
Oathbreaker continues to draw upon the influence of SOE's groundbreaking EverQuest® franchise, adding fun and familiar elements, items and characters illustrated with highly-stylized fantasy flair.
Oathbreaker will enthrall with a tale of corruption from within and redemption that comes at a terrible cost, providing unprecedented level of drama in the ongoing saga, while also expanding upon traditional game and raid-play functionality.
Developed at SOE's Denver studio, Legends of Norrath is the only online trading card game based on and playable from SOE's popular EverQuest® and EverQuest® II MMOs, as well as from a stand-alone client using a free SOE Station Account (available at www.station.com). Players can challenge opponents on their game server and across other EQ and EQII servers.
Oathbreaker is the last Legends of Norrath release before the World Championship event at Gen Con Indy. Players will have two more monthly $5,000 Championship Qualifiers after the release of Oathbreaker and two days of qualification heats at Gen Con Indy to compete for spots on the final day of the Championship.
Oathbreaker's features include:
- New Cards – More than 250 new cards for your online arsenal! Collect all 210 base set cards, four starter decks featuring 16 new quests and three random rares, 10 scenario rewards, fantastic new loot cards for EverQuest and EverQuest II and lots of new promotional cards.
- Play For Free - SOE is providing all registered LoN users even more complimentary content and bonus features in the game client, including ten new scenarios that tell the tale of Oathbreaker and a brand new raid.
- New Raid Play – In the Antechamber of Fate, up to four players can face off against the powerful island guardian Chel'Drak, the dragon turtle!
- New Gameplay – "Charge" is a new keyword that provides additional bonuses to cards while players have, or get rid of, their charge tokens. Relinkable navigation offers greater flexibility in play by allowing linked cards to be linked again to a new target.
- New Faces - Explore new unit types, legends, keywords and abilities for your favorite EverQuest and EverQuest II classes, with the introduction of "unarmed" Monks, Coercers, Templars and Beastlords (with their warder pets)!