Posted: May 19th 2008 11:33AM (Unverified) said

Anyoen else that is in the Early Access as dissatisfied with the game so far as I am? It's laggy, un-polished and frankly not quite as fun as half a dozen other MMO's out there. Maybe I'm missing something.

I've played a Dark Templar to level 13 now and it just seems to be lacking that extra oomph. I'm going to give it hte full 10 days of Early Acces before I crack open the seal on my box. So far the only appealing thing to me has been the quick leveling. Leveling goes really fast, however there are 80 levels to go through right now, so I think it's a little skewed.

Posted: May 19th 2008 11:32AM Rollins said

I don't think we're playing the same game.

I haven't had any lag whatsoever, and although there are a few rough corners, it's far more smooth than any other MMO I've seen at launch.

Posted: May 19th 2008 11:33AM TwistedBishop said

I'm in the Early Access and I'd have to completely disagree with your points. Framerate is great and everything is amazingly well polished. I also haven't seen anything but praise in the OOC channels.

Posted: May 19th 2008 1:38PM (Unverified) said

Definitely not having your luck.

Posted: May 19th 2008 11:43AM (Unverified) said

Smooth as in servers seem to be stable sure, but where is the FUN?

what makes this game different? The combat system? It's slightly different then LotR and DDO in that it's a little more twitchy, but does a combat system make an MMO? The content is a rehash of everything else out there and frankly just seems a little lacking. Maybe I'm just a jaded MMO vet who's been playing MMO's for too long.

I've played almost everything out there under the sun except Vanguard ( I tried it for a couple of days).

Maybe I need some macro's to make the combat a little less "fun" so I don't have to be constantly mashing buttons.

Posted: May 19th 2008 11:43AM (Unverified) said

"Framerate is great and everything is amazingly well polished. I also haven't seen anything but praise in the OOC channels."

Ok, I'm averaging about 15 FPS on my PC.

I've not got a great PC, but it's no slouch. Dual 7600 GTOC's, 2 GB of RAM and a Dual Core P4 2.8 GHZ proc.

This thing runs Oblivion at like 75 FPS.

right now Two Worlds on my 360 looks better. LotR online runs beautifully and looks 100 times better.

As for polish. lvl 6 mobs dropping lvl 50 items? Quest text all messed up? NPC's constantly popping under and above the world like they are bobbing in water. 3 hour delay to access, Traders and mail system not even in the game? Same old quests as every other MMO out there?

Heck, one of the quests was to go kill some level 6 mobs, yet there were level 12 mobs in the way? I mean what the heck? The character customization doesn't really seem to be there. Oh yeah you can change the face and body of your guy to your hearts consent, but everyone has the same armor and clothes, so everyone still looks the same, not to mention there really isn't a whole lot of different types of weapons and armor.

Can you guys explain to me what I'm missing that's so good about this game? People keep saying watch out WoW, this is the WoW killer, but I haven't seen anything yet that would indicate it's actually a more fun game. Where's the fun? I have a $49.99 copy of this game sitting on my desk at home. before I open it up, I'd like to see what is worth $50.

Posted: May 19th 2008 11:57AM (Unverified) said

The item that is lvl 50 that they drop arent strictly lvl 50. They are an item of level 6 in quality but your class can only use that item when it reaches lvl 50. Hope that makes sense? :S

I played wow at the beginning and there was a heck of a lot of ppl all wearing the same items at lower levels because they were the best ones at the time. Its not hard to add a few more rows to the loot table later on down the line.

Im on early access to AoC and i think it does have a great chance of succeeding.

Give it a chance mate :)

Posted: May 19th 2008 12:00PM Rollins said

While I don't have time at the moment to go point by point, I can say that the level 6 monsters dropping level 50 items actually isn't so - I had something weird like that happen too. With me, it was a crossbow that dropped while I was playing a Dark Templar.

Because DTs can't use crossbows until level 50, it showed that the item was level 50. It should probably be re-worded, but that's why that happened.

As far as your performance goes, neither your video card nor your processor are much above the minimum.

Posted: May 19th 2008 12:00PM phobic99 said

Sounds more and more like you're playing something else. There are glitches yes (it's an MMO that's been out for what, 3 days?) but most of my complaints are minor.

There are problems with clothes and armor clipping, yes but I'm not understanding your complaint about everyone looking the same. Tortage is a starting area. Of course everyone is going to look the same. Again, this is another "MMO standard" so to speak. Maybe your standards are too high? *shrug*

The 3 hour delay wasn't really a big deal considering how well the severs performed after that. Most MMO launches suffer from lag, crashes, and more extended downtime. Not the case here. I was honestly expecting the servers to be down all day. I was actually able to play all day without a single problem.

At any rate, I think this game is a breath of fresh air for me. I'm so sick of elves, gnomes and dwarves in these games I'm just happy NONE of these are in Age of Conan. Also, the graphics are easily hands down the best I've seen in a while (I'm lucky to play on maximum settings). Naturally each new MMO brings better graphics but AoC has some fantastic art direction.

Trying hard not to sound like a Funcom corporate shill but I'm really liking this game. All it needs now is some polish.

At any rate, why keep playing something you don't/won't enjoy? Sounds like you've already made your mind up about the game so why waste your time continuing with it? Just curious.

Posted: May 19th 2008 8:18PM GRT said

* As for polish. lvl 6 mobs dropping lvl 50 items?

Haven't seen that.

* Quest text all messed up?

Haven't seen that.

* NPC's constantly popping under and above the world like they are bobbing in water.

Haven't seen that

* 3 hour delay to access.

Yeah, that happened. Wasn't that huge a deal to me.

* Traders and mail system not even in the game?

Trader is in the game. One NPC in Tortage acts as Bank, Auction House and Mail System. You can only see him during "Daytime". Now that said, after a patch yesterday they turned him off for some technical reason, but he was there Saturday and Sunday morning.

* Same old quests as every other MMO out there?

You haven't played very far, have you?

But I think you've identified your problem. You're just burned out on MMOs. I get that way too. I don't need a radical redesign of the gaming systems to have fun. I need fresh content, and that's what Age of Conan has. To me, MMOs are like card games. Almost all card games have 4 suits and tend to be built around grouping cards or arranging them in particular order. But Bridge and Poker are completely different experiences.

Seems to me you want your game to be Chess, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you keep buying card games you're just going to get frustrated. I'd suggest taking a break from MMOs for a while.

Posted: May 19th 2008 12:23PM (Unverified) said

I am giving it time, I'm asking for all your guys help in figuring out what I'm missing that everyone else is experiencing.

As far as not being able to run the game, I don't think I'm that far under recommended. I'm well over the minimum at any rate.

Also as far as it being standard fare for MMO's, everyone seems to be preaching that this game goes above and beyond standard fare, so yeah I guess my standards are set higher. :)

Posted: May 19th 2008 1:15PM (Unverified) said

No idea what you are missing dmendro, but the game has been amazing on my system, no problems, and is a blast to play. Most fun I've had with a game since Diablo II, and I've played a lot of games.

Posted: May 19th 2008 2:21PM (Unverified) said

AoC will never reach WoW subscription levels due to one major factor -- hardware requirements. I bet many people coming from other MMOG's, especially WoW, are going to be disappointed in their framerates and graphics quality because they are forced to turn everything down or off just to play the game not to mention (client-side) lag in PvP.

Give the game a chance and if it's something you like (AoC is, definitely, not for everyone) then consider investing in your gaming rig. I upgraded my video card (7600 GTO) for $160 (9600 GT SC) and instantly went from Low graphic settings to High while maintaining good (but not great; ~20FPS) framerates. My machine is almost 4-years old now so imagine how it would be with a modern gaming rig?

If you're serious about PC gaming, you will need to invest in your hardware to keep up with the latest games and experience all they can offer.

Posted: May 19th 2008 2:49PM (Unverified) said

I like your choice of wording. European players, it seems, are not part of "all and sundry", as they 'only' start on the 23rd. A less America-centric MMO viewpoint would be appreciated. :D

Posted: May 19th 2008 5:08PM Naoki7 said

DirectX 10 version not available til August? I coulda swore that's the version I've been playing.

Posted: May 22nd 2008 4:32PM (Unverified) said

15 fps will make your game play experience a little less than fun.

Make sure you are tweaking your graphics to shit.