Posted: May 18th 2008 8:57AM Wgraves said

The people that are going to join just because of this are going to be almost ineffectual in the game as a whole and will likely just provide me with more pirating opportunities.

That said, i wouldn't mind kicking back one or two in game while partaking in real life as well. many eve players can tell you of the grandeur of a drunken gatecamp. this should also make it easier to recruit new players into a corp. however i am hoping there is no "shout" command as that would really break the immersion and concept of eve, unless of course it flags shouters.

Posted: May 18th 2008 9:39AM (Unverified) said

To be honest, I've been waiting for this kind of addition to EVE since I started playing it. It's very exciting for me because some days I log in I feel like I can't be bothered to actually do anything, but if there was a social and human element it'll add more breadth and more attractive elements to the game.

I was a massive fan of Freelancer. Yes the generic cutscenes for mission agents were a bit repetitive and kitsch but they worked, as did meeting in bars with music in the background etc. The whole thing made you connect with your character, and feel you had more of an identity.

Character development is as much a visual thing as a skill and experience thing. Up until now the only way you could make a statement in EVE was to buy a bigger ship. From what was said at the Comic Con, they will be introducing clothes and outfits to the market eventually, which gives you potential to make individual characters on the scale of The Matrix Online (one of whom's only redeeming feature was the clothing system, which had some kick ass outfits).

Call me a lamer if you want, but to me having a human character that can interact with other humans will enhance the game in my eyes.

Posted: May 18th 2008 4:37PM (Unverified) said

Ambulation is only the beginning. Wandering around in a neutral station is all well and good, everyone has their pretty clothes and can go into bars etc. etc. The real fun is going to come when players are able to perform hostile boarding actions against each other's stations and outposts. And lets not forget that there are planets in EVE...

Posted: May 18th 2008 4:52PM Cyron said

That simply isn't going to happen. The developers have talked about what the call the "tea spoon effect" of having some huge fleet leader with billions of isk being killed easily by a tea spoon whilst out of his ship. They explicitly don't want that kind of thing happening, so the interactions will be purely social. Given that cloning doesn't work outside of your ship, death would be permanent if you died on station

Posted: May 18th 2008 5:06PM (Unverified) said

I didn't say it was going to happen immediately did I? When Ambulation hits, it will be a purely social thing, and I'm willing to be that it will remain so in empire space. Out in 0.0 however I predict that, at some point in the future, fleets will be able to take an enemy outpost by boarding it with troops and fighting it out in the corridors (I've seen concept art of just such a scene). Much more fun than simply sitting in space with your guns on auto as you wait the necessary hours until the outpost falls.

And don't forget the planets...

Posted: May 19th 2008 3:59AM (Unverified) said

With graphics like that, I want to see CCP's next project, World of Darkness. Now that, if done right, may end up being a killer MMO. I absolutely love the World in Darkness, and Vampires vs Werewolves (vs Mages) in an MMO would rock, especially with graphics like that.

Posted: May 19th 2008 7:48AM (Unverified) said

I played Eve a year or so back and also when it first launched, however I just felt it was lacking in character. I'll certainly be giving it another look when this expansion sites.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge