Posted: May 16th 2008 5:14PM (Unverified) said

You're a very good MMO columnist, I have to say. *winks* Anyway, I smirked as I read this article because if you replace EQ with WoW this is describing exactly my experience with MMOs. I began online gaming with NWN in 2005, but WoW in 06 was my first true MMO and for the last two years it's been true love.

But all good things must come to an end and I've been game hopping like a madwoman myself. It exposes WoW for the limited gaming experience it really is, and yet WoW gets the big things right while most other games only get smaller, less overarching things right I find. EQ2 has excellent housing and more D&D-esque lore. LotRO has an excellent separation of PvP and PvE as well as unparalleled support for RP. Both games were fun, but WoW just has this je ne sais quois about it that's familiar and fun. I theorise that its homey graphics and ability to not take itself too seriously are a part of it.

Remember the schizophrenic Dwarf questgiver in the Burning Steppes? "Great work on those ogres! This will set them back minutes, maybe even hours!" Good times.^^

Like you, I'm hoping AoC does it for me. I'm pinning some major hopes on it. LotRO lost me because of the lore, ironically. Tolkien's world (for me personally) is best enjoyed passively. But its full blown poverty of fantasy and depressing nature hit you when you RP in it. It's depressing to play as an Elf knowing your whole civilisation is doomed to fade away in a couple of years, even if you *win* the war. :P

Anyhow, great article.

Posted: May 16th 2008 10:27PM (Unverified) said

I like the Searing Gorge quests better actually... they have the best names! :)

Posted: May 16th 2008 5:24PM (Unverified) said

I do this exact same thing, and I keep hoping the next game will be my new hook. I even make promises to myself, like "Okay, give Age of Conan it's full chance, and sink into it."

Honestly though, it seems like the games choose me. When CoH first came out, I called it "Shitty of Zeroes" and "EverQuest in Spandex", but slowly it became everything I was looking for in a game, and here I am, 48 months later, still playing it. I even tell people I'm not playing it, and when they say I was logged in that day, I reply "Oh, of course I log in. I'm just not, y'know, spending 5 hours a night in it."

But still, I think as the genre expands, so do the interests of many of us. I play a lot of games. A handful of them just happen to be MMOs. Face it. Games that simulate entire worlds full of other players are just... enticing.

Posted: May 16th 2008 5:36PM (Unverified) said

With the current crop of MMO's, game hopping is a viable strategy because little if any of their compelling content is in the Endgame.

However with WoW, the best part is in the Endgame. Hopefully other game companies will pick up on this strategy because it makes for much more interesting universes and much better customer retention.

Rewarding the people who stick with your game with the best content - that's a winning strategy for game companies.

So I say that you game-hop not because of a compulsion, but because the games out there are crap. Even WoW is crap, and I say this as a hardcore WoW aficionado. WoW is the best there is and it's still crap! So you're game-hopping like crazy looking for something better. I can't blame you.

But sooner or later that game will come along, and then a lot of games with the magic quality level and a choice of different socialization levels. Then MMO's will TRULY start to attract an audience.

Posted: May 16th 2008 10:27PM (Unverified) said

Well, you do want to reward players who stay on, but you also need to give them some incentive to get them to the endgame in the first place. I'm a firm believer in the idea that the leveling part of the MMOG is the game -- endgame is what you get to do once you've won, and raiding definitely isn't the only option there. It just happens to be the commonest one.

Posted: May 16th 2008 5:59PM monkeybones said

I am also an admitted game hopper. I play with my kids and our guild mates from our first MMO.

Instead of the P2P route, we have been playing the F2P games more and more. Doing this always keeps games fresh and new for us.

We had played Rose Online, WoW, and COH, all fun, all different, but so was Flyff, Domo, Fiesta, Perfect World, and so on. Changing games now seems like the norm to us.

Posted: May 16th 2008 10:27PM (Unverified) said

Many free-to-play games bug me because they're not actually free to play past a certain point. Well, they are, but they're horribly inconvenient without the potions, scrolls, and items you buy from the microtransaction stores.

If you like just fooling around though, they definitely beat the P2P games.

Long-term, they all hit you in the wallet one way or another, though.

Posted: May 16th 2008 6:25PM (Unverified) said

Gods I am the king of game hopping. There are very few US released mmo's I haven't played since asheron's call stole my social life. Most memorable among them were of course the aforementioned asherons call, dark age of camelot (super fun right up till the Atlantis expansion made it hard core only), Anarchy Online, and of course needle-in-the-vein wow. I had huge hopes for tabula rasa, but like most about lvl 30 it became incredibly redundant.
I have been lucky enough to have a core group of friends that I have gamed with for years, heck even been banned with enmasse hehe (well if they didn't want sleeper dead they shouldn't of put that bridge there to hide our clerics then shouldn't they?)
I was just laughing because guys I hadn't talked to in a year or so called me in the last couple days asking if I was going to play AOC hehe.
Best part about mmo's is there a social game with a real community, and lots of those communities are nomadic.

Posted: May 16th 2008 9:01PM Jeromai said

My theory. Four years. Max amount of time anyone attaches to their first MMO-like game, unless they are just aren't playing it sufficiently. By then, you know all the ins and outs, have seen every area that you care to, in a finite world, grok the gameplay style like the back of your hand, and are ready to try something different.

Hence the game-hopping. And as one gets more well-versed with all the types of MMOs out there, one gets more picky about which features they like, which they won't tolerate, etc. and the time to sample each game falls off, until you end up with one or two MMOs that suit you the most. For now. Until the next big thing.

(And the little nostalgic memory at the back of the mind that says, gee, none of these new ones are quite like my first MMO-like love. Even though time has now passed it by, and if you go back, the community's never quite the same.)

Posted: May 16th 2008 10:27PM (Unverified) said

Makes sense. Four years is a LONG time to play anything without getting bored. Especially given just how much MMOG fans actually play these games...

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 11:20AM (Unverified) said

I see a glaring lack of having played EVE-Online ;)

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 11:22AM (Unverified) said

Yes, I've tried to get into it a few times with no luck. There's something about using a ship as my avatar that just doesn't click for me. Also, I thought it was a little hard to get the hang of it.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 6:52PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, it as a steep learning curve I guess.
I'll be expecting you when Walking in Stations launches though. ;)

Posted: Jun 2nd 2008 6:54PM (Unverified) said

Ambulation does sound really cool. I got to talk to some CCP folks about it at PAX last year when I was covering it for Ten Ton Hammer, and if they can deliver on the vision it will be pretty neat. I may have to give it another go then.