Posted: May 12th 2008 10:52AM (Unverified) said

Maybe they want to... err.

Maybe it's all part of their plan to... hrmm.

Maybe... well, drat. I can't think of any good reason why they'd feel the need to keep their billing provider a secret from their customers.

(Unless, maybe, it's one with a really bad reputation, and they want to delay another public relations nightmare. But I'd hope that they wouldn't deliberately choose one with a bad reputation!)

Posted: May 12th 2008 11:04AM (Unverified) said

Integrity does billing now?

Posted: May 12th 2008 12:49PM (Unverified) said

I remember back last summer when they started billing from the UK. My credit card company flagged my card as potential fraud. I had found out the embarrassing way that my card was flagged and had to jump through hoops to find out why the card wasn't working.

Posted: May 13th 2008 10:08AM (Unverified) said

Sometime in the past the billing provider they were using was blocked by many CC companies and created difficulties for those wishing to set up an account.

Perhaps the change in billing was to rectify those problems. Though the logic of not making the change public seems strange.

Unless the previous provider had it's security breached and a large amount of data was stolen. It would make sense for LL to try to distance itself from that.

Posted: May 14th 2008 7:58AM (Unverified) said

As noted above maybe this change is to get around the troubles that old billing had with credit card companies. I had to change banks and cards as my main bank and their VISA rep saw issues with the billing system and blocked them as a merchant.

What I see as an issue is now that they are billing back in the good old USA what about VAT? Many in europe and the UK have been charged up to 20 percent tax. No that the money is not going to europe but the US VAT should no longer apply.

If they do still apply VAT then the name of the company who is doing the billing is most important. Europeans will need to know that the tax is being paid on their behalf and not pocketed.

Posted: May 14th 2008 8:03AM (Unverified) said

The VAT's still due, technically. It's a requirement of the EC for doing business with EU citizens, intended to level the playing-field for EU businesses and make them more competitive.

Well, so long as they're not relying on services from outside the EU, anyway (which they can then no longer get as cheaply as citizens of other nations).

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014