Posted: May 9th 2008 9:51AM GRT said

Generally, the free month. But I don't uninstall it. I leave it installed for the inevitable free period that they offer old subscribers once they get the game working closer to what they promised.

Posted: May 9th 2008 10:34AM koehler83 said

Well LOTRO sucked me in long enough to actually choose to pay for a 3 month subscription after the 7 day free demo. It didnt do enough to make me decide to continue paying after that. It wasnt hard getting my 3 months out of it though.

I wouldn't have kept FFXI after only a week.. but after a month it hooked me for 4 years.

So I guess if you still have my attention after a month, its gonna be a long haul.

Posted: May 9th 2008 11:11AM (Unverified) said

In some cases I drop it after 30 minutes or so (Asheron's Call 2), and in some cases it may suck me in for awhile longer:

DAoC (coming from EQ) kept me playing for around 6 months before I went back to EQ.

LoTR about 2 months during beta, after which point I went back to WoW.

EQ2 a week or so.

So far I have spent most of my MMORPG time in EQ1 (from '99 to '04) and WoW from 04 to present.

I am currently in the Mythos beta and enjoying that, and am going to wait a month or so to try AoC.

Posted: May 9th 2008 12:47PM Triskelion said

Theadrick - our MMOG track records are very similar; I too was an EQ1 junkie, and then later a WoW fanatic, and I also tried EQ2 and LotRO with mixed results.

I've learned to never say never when it comes to MMOGs. I see all of these people come to my guilds message board(s) to say "goodbye", I never say goodbye since I'm not always 100% sure that I'll leave the game for good. I've tried and re-tried EQ2, LotRO, EVE, AC1, AC2, Lineage 2, Tab Rasa, SWG, etc, many, many, many times.

For me these games (MMOGs) are living, breathing and evolving worlds, they can and will change over time. So, what I experienced last year may be different from what they offer today, or so I tell myself, which is why I re-sub and re-sub again to old games expecting different results.

Posted: May 9th 2008 11:58AM (Unverified) said

Sometimes there's a feeling of betrayal that comes with it. Like when you back they hype engine of what could be a great game, and it just falls short, you're kinda jilted because it means you bought into their marketing, not their product.

Posted: May 9th 2008 12:48PM Triskelion said

Yep, which was me with Hellgate:London - man, did I promote that game heavily. And I really felt betrayed.

Posted: May 9th 2008 2:09PM (Unverified) said

yeah I was one who heavily supported hellgate as well, and really gave the developers a LOT of slack. Once I got shafted and was denied the second place in the launch halloween video contest just because I asked a couple questions on the forums....

and the weeks of drivel that followed...

I left, and I will never look back at them.

you still owe me prizes for second place in the video contest flagship! Damn you!

Posted: May 9th 2008 5:09PM mietha said

Well, let's see, since I started played EQ I have tried EQ2, SWG, AO (the best besides EQ, btw), WoW Beta (FAR better than live), WoW, Dungeon Runners, Kingdom of Loathing, EQOA Beta, LOTRO Beta, Auto Assault beta, FFXI beta, City of Heroes, and probably some more I'm not thinking of at the moment. Went back to EQ last month after an almost 5 year layoff. It is STILL the best MMO. I honestly don't think anything will ever surpass it, and long as they keep updating it.

Posted: May 9th 2008 5:44PM (Unverified) said

I restarted on EQ1 as well, after going through WoW and EQ2 (I still play EQ2). I don't know what it is about EQ1... but I suspect it's just first game syndrome; you always look back at the first MMO you really got into with fond memories.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014