Posted: May 6th 2008 8:18PM (Unverified) said

"simple fights with one pilot fighting another are extremely rare" - False. You will have one-on-one engagements with pirates even in .5 to .3 space. They will be very short engagements ending with your clone being revived. Why? For no reason at all. People like being assholes.

"Older players will always be better" This might be true as described, but "better" is meaningless. Older players will always be _richer_ with vastly superior equipment and they will routinely destroy you and take your cargo without cause or qualm.

Yes, they will kill your pod, too, thus destroying your implants. They think it's funny.

Posted: May 6th 2008 8:45PM Brendan Drain said

On the topic of 1v1 combat, it's actually very rare that your enemy doesn't have friends who can back him up if you prove a tough opponent or help him get revenge should you win. On the rare occasion that there's only one pirate camping a stargate on his own, you can be sure his buddies are nearby.

I'd also disagree with your assessment that older players are richer. I've known plenty of people with billions of isk after only a few months of playing and most of the people I've known for years in EVE keep barely enough to replace one or two ships in their wallet. The pirates that camp gates in low security systems very rarely fly anything so expensive that it's not fairly easily replaceable. I think that's one of the golden rules of EVE: Never fly anything you can't afford to lose.

I've lived in low security space plenty of times and we did have more than our fair share of pirates. Plenty of times we got together gangs and went to ruin the pirate's fun. The key is realising that you can't do it by yourself because if they have friends to help you need backup too. There's nothing better than getting an anti-pirate gang together, devising a good battle plan and ruining a pirate corporation's day.

Something I always reccomend to people who have something against pirates after being killed is to see if there's a local antipirate force or corporation you can join. They can usually provide intelligence on enemy movements that could help you avoid them and if they put together attack gangs, you might just get your revenge :).

Posted: May 6th 2008 8:53PM (Unverified) said

I no longer play EVE Online. The point at which it would have become "fun" was just too far away. Boredom, repetition, and impotent frustration at my losses against pirates were my overwhelming experience with EVE.

I played for more than six months before I noticed that I wasn't actually "playing" any more, I was just logging on to switch my skill upgrades. I terminated my account soon after.

Posted: May 6th 2008 8:54PM Brendan Drain said

One more thing I should mention is that in Eve, unlike in gear-based MMOs, equipment and skills only get you so far and aren't really the deciding factor in an encounter. Even if I spent a billion isk on a fancy faction battleship and a few billion on the best equipment availible, it wouldn't stand up to a two or three well-prepared players in cheaply fit battleships.

I would say that even a team of three one-month-old players in cruisers could decimate the average four year old player's battleship if they employ a good strategy and fit their ships out well. Teamwork and good strategy are what wins battles in EVE.

Posted: May 6th 2008 10:40PM (Unverified) said

I have tried eve a few times but its just such a boring game to me it wasn't the skill system that turned me off it was the fact that every thing is done for you all you do is lock target and click your weapon then you can just pick up a book and read until you hear something explode. I Also never found any point to the game what so ever.

Posted: May 6th 2008 10:45PM Brendan Drain said

Although it doesn't force you into it, EVE is a PvP game at heart. I might have gotten sick of it years ago too if I'd not gotten involved in PvP.

Posted: May 7th 2008 12:31PM (Unverified) said

[quote]Also never found any point to the game what so ever.[/quote]

What's the point of playing any game? Basically someone who decides to play Eve Online instead of other MMOs is like a child who decides to play Cops and Robbers or House instead of Candyland or Checkers.

In the former games you use your imagination to make up your fun and CCP provides you the tools to overcome any limitations with your imagination. In the latter the games give you specific goal and you play to win these goals which is what Mythic/Funcom/Blizzard/Sony provide.

Anyway I hated thiis myth debunking only because it's a tired arguement of what makes Eve "great."

Not everyone wants to be a tackler and if that is all Eve could provide for new players then the majority should quit.

You're point about high skill point players being no better than low skill players is true in many ways. People should get over the idea they won't catch up because there's more to the game than being able to train your skills.

A new player could literally be able to pvp in Doomsday/Clone Vat capable Titan in 20 months. But the funding needed to even buy a Titan or make one yourself is massive. You should busy as is trying to find new ways to generate isk efficiently.

Posted: May 8th 2008 9:00AM (Unverified) said

An interesting read.

I've re-embarked on my EVE journey a couple of months ago. I froze my account for about a year and a half after playing for about a month last time, so I'm still fairly new to the game.

I'm torn with the game in the same way as the readers and writers of these comments above. I agree with the good and bad points.

I used to love WoW until I finally realised how linear the game becomes to a point. I contantly found myself re-rolling new toons, which is fun. But ultimately the only way to achieve great things is to live in the game.

I hope that EVE is a game that grows with time and requires mature minded people to build and run your own little empire or even bigger, who knows.....

Posted: May 8th 2008 11:21AM Brendan Drain said

My #1 tip for keeping EVE interesting is joining a good corporation. The same usually goes for most MMOs but particularly in pvp-centric games you'll be having a lot more fun as part of a group with direction and focus.