Posted: Apr 28th 2008 12:58AM (Unverified) said

I'd love to spill some of the subtle tricks I've learned to make very unique costumes, but I think it's a lot cooler to see these kinds of tricks in game and go "How the heck..." or "I wish I'd thought of that."

Yeah, costuming is all about knowing that the tricks are there for everyone, so you have to really pour your artistic vision into the tool to get the most personalization out of it. Don't just stick to sets because they match, use color theory for finding complementary color themes, and don't be afraid to put in a piece that seemingly doesn't belong.

I have to admit, though. For every liberty the costume editor grants, it opens up ten more feature wishes. Thankfully it's a part of the game the devs are obviously not ready to consider complete.

Posted: Apr 28th 2008 1:10AM (Unverified) said

I know what you mean: some of the costumes I see are simply phenomenal. And I'll happily raise a toast in agreement to the idea of continual updates to the costume editor.

Posted: Apr 28th 2008 8:02AM JeffT4 said

COX has kind'a spoiled some of the other MMO's for me. I love that everyone is completely different in-game right from the start. I've just tried Lineage II and the character options from the get-go are staggeringly limited! DDO is better, but not by much, and Guildwars is kind'a plain (In an ancient Japan sort'a way) The COX costume builder is simply the best, and getting better pretty much with every issue (Although I think Champions will give it a run for its money)

As for tips and tricks, if you're looking for ideas give the random generator a go. Usually the mixes are awful, but every now and again it'll turn out a real gem that might need only a few tweaks like colour changes, or no whiskers. Just keep going until you find something close that will suit the character and then start tweaking. That way, you'll avoid the "infringement" issues, and get something unique. And there's plenty of "Unique" in COX (Terror Teddy - Union server, I'm looking at you!)

Posted: Apr 28th 2008 10:00AM (Unverified) said

I agree: it'll be interesting to see what the differences between -- and similarities to -- the Champions Online and City of (X) costume creators are.

You know, I've always been wary about the random generator, but you have a point. I'll give it a shot, and thanks for pointing it out again.

Posted: Apr 28th 2008 10:25AM (Unverified) said

Yeah. The random button is great for helping kickstart inspiration. The costumes are generally horrid, but they might put a few elements together that look cool, and you might not have come up with it on your own.

My fiancée once got the perfect costume out of the random generator, so she tweaked the colors, and then named him Random Button. It's still one of her favorite characters.