Posted: Apr 26th 2008 1:18PM (Unverified) said

With the constant "reroll locust" that exists in WoW (those people, like you, who can't do the grind to 70 any more and quit early, but simply can't quit WoW entirely), Blizzard would make a killing and at the same time deal with an issue annoying to other players.

However, they will not even begin to consider this due to their stubborn attitudes. As a matter of fact, the most prudent concept of merging low population servers in order to fix the real plague that hurts Blizzard, dead empty wastes of realms, isn't even really on the table. They sure won't make new servers to do this.

Posted: Apr 27th 2008 5:04PM Ghen said

Actually they are considering something like this. Death Knights and other hero classes are rumored to start at 50 or 55.

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 2:04PM GRT said

So people spend $20 to buy a level 60 character, then in a month they hit cap and start complaining about no new content. I find it ironic that you link to the "Maxed out and bored" post here at massively but don't address that issue.

I really think Blizz has looked at this problem and their solution was to increase the leveling speed from 20-60.

What would you do about PvP on this server? Unless you're anticipating having a bunch of them, you'd lose the cross-realm PvP solution that was supposed to alleviate the long wait times.

BTW, one other MMO did something like what you're suggesting... I'm spacing on which one it was. DAoC perhaps? After hitting cap, you could start a new character at level 20, if I'm remembering correctly.

It is kind of amusing to think about a server with a bunch of level 60 characters who have no clue how to play their class, though.

Another idea would be to borrow the sidekick/mentoring system from CoX/EQ2. That lets friends play together no matter their levels, and it helps the lower level friend to catch up to his "older" companions.

Posted: Apr 28th 2008 9:26AM (Unverified) said

I agree. The mentoring system in EQ2 is great. I have a hunter I only play with my brother and we don't get to play often so my hunter sits dormant for weeks. With the mentoring system we could both continue leveling on our own schedule and still play together regardless of level difference.

For awhile I wanted anyone with a lvl capped character to be able to create a 60 from scratch, but I soon realized that few people would take the time to learn the class before jumping into a dungeon and wiping the group repeatedly.

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 2:44PM Rich said

I would be all over coughing up $20-30 bucks for a level 60 character in WoW. I've leveled 2 70's and I dont want to do it again. I am not one of these retards that need that long grind to learn a character. I need about 20 hours of play time to nail it down.

In WoW and TBC, you don't need the first 60 levels to learn to play your class. If you did, you wouldn't have the tards at level 70 not knowing how to play. You can do it quite well in the 10 levels of TBC. The people who know what they are doing will learn pretty quick.

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 3:39PM (Unverified) said

I personally would hate to have to reroll on another realm to do this, but I wouldn't mind doing it on my regular realms. Right now I'm working on leveling a 65 warlock, 35 paladin and 18 rogue, in addition to my 4 level 70s. While it is fun to play through some of the old content occasionally, I've done it so many times, I would be really happy to be able to skip some of that lower content I've seen dozens of times before on rerolls and get someone straight to the 40-60 range. Perhaps an option for someone who's been playing more than a year, or who already has a level 70 character?

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 3:38PM Wgraves said

I got out of tabletop games for a reason, please dont let that addiction follow me :(

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 6:05PM (Unverified) said

I don't like this idea. The leveling experience 1-60 (and soon 1-70) is essentially broken. With everyone else at the cap, leveling is pretty much a long and boring single-player game. It needs fixing. I'd rather not encourage game companies to offer us to skip past holes in game design for a fee instead of fixing their game. It could become a disturbing trend.

I'm ok with charging for optional account services such as server transfers. I'm not ok with charging for any in-game achievements. Micro or macro, they are all bad.

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 6:18PM (Unverified) said

Wow, "disturbing trend" Really?

You're talking about a videogame that's meant to be played for fun, man. What actually seems kind of disturbing is how you point out the fact that grinding from 1-60 is completely boring and then say that this idea is bad.

Blizzard has already shown us they don't really plan on supporting lower-level content beyond making it faster to level through.

GRT - This kind of server would be for PvE content really, although I'm pretty sure that the servers would fill up with players not wanting to grind 1-60 anymore so population wouldn't be an issue at all.

Also, the reason CoX can do the mentoring system is because it doesn't use equipment. All their stats are easily scalable, so that system is possible. Wheras in WoW, equipment is incredibly important to your character's strength -- thus making it impossible to simply sidekick someone to a high level. Another thing to remember is that only one person can be side-kicked by another at any given time. If you wanted to do five-mans then you'd need three high-levels and two lowbies, which is far less practical than the macrotransactions idea.

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 6:49PM (Unverified) said

Yes, very disturbing. Games ARE supposed to be fun, or the players will quit. If something becomes not fun anymore, the game company should either fix it or remove it at no additional expense to the customers. I'd like to see Blizzard improve to 1-60 experience by developing addiional content and giving players more incentives to roll alts, but if they just want to cop out of the whole leveling game, they should allow everyone to start at a higher level for free.

In the long term, if companies can derive profit from letting the players skip over the boring parts of the game then they have every reason to make their games ...BORING!

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 6:58PM (Unverified) said

The thing is.. those boring parts are boring because people have done it so many times. A new player, or new content, is not bored by having done it many times over already. I love doing Duskwallow right now.. because it's almost entirely new. I'd love to see more zone renewals like that as well, it would certainly make it less a chore to level a new alt and more something to look forward to. I'm not sure that speeding up leveling is working out to well though, since with all my new alts, I'm levelling faster than I can support my tradeskills.

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 7:06PM (Unverified) said

Like I said, it's not as if the original content has to go away. Why shouldn't other players be able to skip over level 1-60 if they want to?

I honestly doubt Blizzard is going to do anything like Dustwallow again. Out of all the updates they have done, adding content to Dustwallow Marshes was the minimal amount of "improving" old content they could have done.

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 7:42PM (Unverified) said

My point is not that you shouldn't be able to skip over the old content. At this point in WoW you probably should. My point is that you shouldn't want to pay for it, lest companies make a business out of padding games with even more boring grinds you'd want to skip.

I don't deny there's an immediate benefit to buying a higher-level starting character. There are also immediate benefits to buying cheap goods made in sweatshops. Besides the benefits there are the consequences for promoting unethical business models.

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 8:03PM (Unverified) said

I can agree with this. Which is why I suggested it be an option after you've been a subscriber for a while, like NCSoft's Veteran rewards, or after you've had x number of level 70 characters, or something else that would indicate you've been around for a while. Perhaps with the Death Knights starting at a level higher than 1, an option will be introduced. Of course, by that time, I'll probably have the one of every class I want already...

Posted: Apr 26th 2008 10:06PM Zulika said

I would rather pay more monthly, quite a bit more than current rates, for more content - ie a game with no endgame. Or at least one you can;t max lvl in a few months. ......sigh, I miss real RPGs -meaning the original MMORPGs

Posted: May 6th 2008 11:12AM (Unverified) said

Kyle, while I do understand the problem of leveling, I do not support your solution. Since the patch in November, getting to 61 is way too fast for me. And some of the friends that I have made that started playing the game since November, due to the increase in experience per level needed after 61, stopped playing their toons. The best thing I can suggest, since you have already played the game, is quest more efficiently.

Prior to the patch in November, my normal routine for my alts, mostly Blood Elf, was to chain it to Ghostlands, hitting all the quests that you get in Eversong Woods. Then after all the quests were completed there for any of my alts I was level 19-21. After that I found most quests take you all over the place, and that is what people miss, there is no need to do every-single-quest you come across.

Blizzard made this game for people to enjoy. And people are different. That's why there are PvP, Normal, and RP servers. Keep that in mind.

Quests are used for, I wold imagine, getting rewards, earning some sort of respectable amount of gold for repair, and maybe some useful item.

I play on a Normal server, so doing every quest is quite wasteful of time, if you are trying to level. It's easier to link quests together that you know about in a certain area, and avoid others that are either way too difficult to solo, or that take you on a ten minute flight from Orgrimar to Gadgetzhan.

Most zones are completely avoidable like Burning Steps, Blasted Lands, Silthis, Ungoro, Winterspring, most of Feralas, Desolace and Stonetalon. Dustwallow is my new place to quest from levels 38 to 42-43, and after that it's Hinterlands till 50, with a few instance runs in ZF and maybe Mara. After that you just lfg for for your lvl 50 class quest, and head to Felwood, and WP till you hit 58.

As far as people learning how to play their class: some are completely helpless. The most minute part of grouping is knowing what to do when battles and pulls are going well, this is very common in most instances at level 70. However, when things take a turn for the worse, that's what people are referring for playing your class. Too many times have I had to tell people to stay back while marking in brd, scholo, and ramps. As well as watching people pull once the marks are up(healer needs mana and the mage sheep pulls), running into the pat that's clearly marked, not knowing los pulls(pulling AWAY from the pat), not letting the tank gain aggro(PoM ANYTHING is not a good opener), blah blah blah....

So yea the world is full of Leroys. And on low pop servers that's a killer. Don't take the people that are willing to learn the game away from me, you are more than welcome to have at the rest, and maybe in 5 years you would get to Kara.

Posted: May 6th 2008 12:23PM (Unverified) said

Jonas, I have to respectfully say that think you're kind of missing the point. I don't want to have to quest more efficiently. Even if it takes less time to level up to 61 now, I don't have the time or the patience to do so. I'll never touch WoW again and neither will many of my friends because of this very problem.

You can think of this like a giant oil well that's just waiting for Blizzard to drill.

Posted: May 7th 2008 7:14PM (Unverified) said

I've just spent the last few months leveling my first and only character up to level 70. Your solution to get there more quickly seems like a cheat. Sorry, but it does.

It's like saying that you should be able to join a Monopoly game an hour after it started by paying a fee and getting half a dozen properties. What's the point of that? Why even play?

Plus, your level 57 mage is only one level away from the Outlands! Just get 'er done! Then, you and your friends can transfer to the same server and play together. See? Simple.

This is some serious pew-pewing.