Posted: Apr 19th 2008 8:50AM PlasticSpork said

"And there could be added value in game achievements, which is a system that doesn't currently exist for PC MMOs."

Wow, guess I'll need to give up all those badges in City of Heroes, since they apparently don't exist.

Posted: Apr 19th 2008 10:33AM (Unverified) said

And I'll have to get rid of my LOTRO titles. Darnitall, all this time I've been earning points towards things that don't exist! More fool I!

Posted: Apr 19th 2008 9:24AM aigarius said

WoW could easily be ported to PS3 at least. You just need to specify that using a keyboard and mouse are essential for anything more complex that checking your mailbox and scanning AH. You could even sell WoW themed Bluetooth keyboard and mouse sets :D

However the game itself should be a free or nominal cost ($10) download for existing subscribers, just like you can download a Mac version after purchasing a Windows version and via versa.

Having a HDD whould be a hard requirement and then the same HDD could be used for patching, storing configuration and addons. The addons should work on the console version without any changes. Some cooperation with Ventrilo and Teamspeak to integrate their software in a easy to use package and an official addon updater would also be very useful here.

Basically the console would work as a relatively cheap way to get stable 100+ FPS 1920x1080 in most taxing raid.

Sony would love that to sell even more consoles.

Posted: Apr 19th 2008 9:32AM fanguad said

Correction: There is a version of Final Fantasy XI for the 360. The PS2 version also works with the PS3.

Posted: Apr 19th 2008 12:06PM (Unverified) said

Actually the PS3 compatible version is different than the regular PS2 version.

Posted: Apr 19th 2008 10:04AM (Unverified) said

And "The Agency" is planned for console as well.

Posted: Apr 19th 2008 10:08AM (Unverified) said

And well... as mentioned in some article I read some time ago the problem here is that every how-small-it-might-be update has to go through the corresponding Licensing Department which not just takes time, but also is a big financial aspect. This makes responsetimes on bugs, etc - fixed with small hotfixes on PC - very long and cost intense

Posted: Apr 19th 2008 10:18AM GRT said

How about the short lifespan of consoles? Every 5 years a new version comes out and a lot of people move to the new generation. I think MMO publishers want a much longer lifespan for their games.

Maybe the PS2 continuing to thrive even after the PS3 launch will change the minds of some developers. After all, Sony is still making money on EQ Online Adventures, right?

Posted: Apr 19th 2008 1:43PM Waluigi said

I've been playing FFXI for a while on PC, and when I take the PS2 to friend's house to play Dynamis (a multiple-hour raid instance thing) or team up in an experience points party, switching to the console puts me to sleep! Not being at an office desk in an upright chair, but rather lounging on a couch or sitting in a bean bag chair or something just makes staying awake for grinding difficult.

Another issue with the consoles is the heavy limitations it puts on the game. FFXI is constantly limited on stuff that can happen, like user interface changes and graphics overhauls won't happen because of the oft-quoted "PS2 limitations" in the community.

Posted: Apr 20th 2008 2:49AM (Unverified) said

Vincent, Trevel; thanks for pointing those out, but I should have been clearer. As I understand it, Achievement Points can be used to purchase additional downloadable content, not just for the game in question, but for other games as well. Also, APs can be used to purchase smaller games from the Live Arcade service. So, in the context of this discussion, I was saying that achievements for a particular game do not hold any currency outside of that particular game.

Wouldn't it be nice if your badges and titles could be used for something more than prestige in those games?

Posted: Apr 20th 2008 10:58AM (Unverified) said

@Akela. You are actually talking about Microsoft Points in your comment, than Achievement Points. Achievement Points got nothing to do with Microsoft Points. Can't buy anything wit AP's.

Posted: Apr 20th 2008 3:05PM PlasticSpork said

Right, achievements are just achievements on the Xbox. The point systems are just a different monetary system: you buy "points" and use them to buy games, content, etc. MMOs like Exteel (and Guild Wars, City or Heroes, etc) all have pay money for new content, so I'm not sure why hiding it behind a "point" system would be any better.

I kinda like knowing how much something costs, myself and not having it hid behind stupid point systems.

Posted: Apr 20th 2008 11:41PM (Unverified) said

Petri: Why, so I am! My mistake, everyone. I was once again envisioning a world in which everything ties into everything else, happily, gloriously. I now take my Massive lumps!