Posted: Apr 14th 2008 3:22PM (Unverified) said

Okay, I confess. At first I was just going to cough and snark out "WoW, EVE, SL and a bunch of old crap", but after looking at Vendetta Online, it seems like something that might interest me a little. Especially since I've been looking forward to a good dogfighting MMO.

Also, I'm glad that MMOs tend to have long lifespans. I think it's funny that I hesitate to jump into a year old MMO because I'm "coming in late", when it's starting to show some of these games can live for a decade.

Posted: Apr 14th 2008 3:52PM (Unverified) said

I have to say..it is still very hard for me to game on a Mac.

Posted: Apr 14th 2008 4:41PM (Unverified) said

What, no Clan Lord on the list? That is Delta Tao's MMO venture.

Posted: Apr 15th 2008 12:34AM ed anger said

zouve, lol. i admit i had my spaceward ho addiction in the past, but i think the specs says it all: Clan Lord currently only runs on Apple Macintosh computers. The requirements are 32 megs of RAM and system 7.5 or higher. A 100 MHz PowerPC or faster is recommended.

Posted: Apr 15th 2008 8:54AM (Unverified) said

I'm going to have to check this one out, thanks.

Posted: Apr 15th 2008 1:22PM (Unverified) said

That quote, from the FAQ, about support, is way out of date.

There is actually a Windows client for it as well as a native Mac OS X client along with the client that supports Mac OS 7.5 through 9.

I was only half kidding when I mentioned Clan Lord. It is old, pre-dating EverQuest by a few months. But it is still there and it seems to be stable. The web site reports that they haven't had a server crash in over two years.

Posted: Apr 14th 2008 3:57PM ed anger said

obligatory omg macs suxx and are overpriced crap comment (just to get it out of the way).

to be honest, if you want to game on a mac, bootcamp is the way to go. the few people i know who have tried Eve on cider have told me its buggy as hell, and all of them have gone back to bootcamp.

and any game in parallels will have awful performance (unless of 1990s vintage). this leaves you... WoW, as the only modern MMO on the mac. so unless you want to play WoW, do yourself a favor, and install bootcamp. and use a machine with a decent graphics card, not intergrated graphics.

Posted: Apr 14th 2008 4:14PM Tiran Kenja said

Shadowbane is also available for the Mac. And it is still alive-ish ;)

Posted: Apr 15th 2008 12:29AM Rollins said

If you have a newer Intel-based Mac, Shadowbane runs so poorly that you might as well not even bother. Never made the jump to UB.

Posted: Apr 14th 2008 6:33PM (Unverified) said

I didn't know some of these games, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Posted: Apr 14th 2008 6:03PM (Unverified) said

... and you missed my all time favourite: A Tale in The Desert III
which runs on Mac, Windows and Linux.

Posted: Apr 15th 2008 8:46AM (Unverified) said

I still believe one of the contributing factors toward WoWs success is its Mac client. It may not be high on the list but it certainly helps the player count to have the game available to Mac users. I wish more MMOs would take the time to create Mac clients.

Posted: Apr 15th 2008 8:53AM (Unverified) said

I was thinking last night that I'd love to see the percentage of WoW users playing on Macs.

Posted: Apr 15th 2008 8:56AM (Unverified) said

I once posted on the WoW forums asking about PC vs Mac usage stats hoping a moderator might post something. Of course I was met with flames and insults. But it would be interesting to see the stats.

Posted: Apr 15th 2008 11:17AM (Unverified) said

How about Pirates of the Caribbean Online?

Not saying it's great, but I play from time to time and haven't canceled my subscription. It's pretty good for a casual MMO gamer.

Posted: Apr 16th 2008 2:39PM (Unverified) said

Not putting this one in is embarrassing. I've played it and spaced on it.

Posted: Apr 15th 2008 4:57PM (Unverified) said

Toontown from Disney has a Mac client, my kids like it.

Posted: Apr 16th 2008 8:40AM (Unverified) said

Dofus is an MMO for Mac (well, flash-based client, so it runs on anything and everything) and last I checked was around sixth place on MMOGchart.com for market share.

Gameplay is a little grind-y (but what isn't these days?) but the art style is unique, and outside of the free to play area, there's a nice community.

Posted: Apr 16th 2008 1:45PM (Unverified) said

Nice post ... I follow every Mark Crump's post here on Massively ... keep up the good work!

I would like to add a few titles to this list that come mainly from the indie and open-source scenes.

Many of them are almost platform-agnostic (they use Java or Flash) or very early in development but deserve a bit of extra-visibility. I can't enter more than three URLs so I've published them via Google Docs: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd77svdn_9fcmh99gh

(in no particular order)

- Eternal Lands

- Oberin (Mac only, http://oberin.com/)

- Planeshift (eternally "early in development" ... )

- Adellion (will they ever finish it?)

- Heroes of First Star and First Star Online 3 (very old-style)

- Furcadia (I can't believe there are people playing this one but hey ...)

- Puzzle Pirates (MUD + puzzle game ... )

- The Mana World (very old-style)

- Fragmented Galaxy (a MMORTS very early in development, Mac-only)

- Remnants of Skystone (very stylish and promising, Flash-based)

- PoxNora (MMORTS, Java-based)

- Dawn of Daria (early in development)

- Afterworld (very early in development)

- Darkwind: Wars on Wheels (turn-based)

- Wurm Online (java-based)

Also, new games based upon the new Unity, Stone3D and Torque web engines are coming ... and they will work on Mac :)

Posted: Apr 16th 2008 10:27PM (Unverified) said

I'm hoping for a Mythos OS X client soon, so i don't have to keep using boot camp.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014