Posted: Apr 12th 2008 9:08AM (Unverified) said

Just changing the skin color is ok with me, it allows me to celebrate my race. But I wish the ingame npc's actually had some ethnicity to them. For example almost all of WoW's npc quest givers are Caucasian (If they were human). I could count with just my hands the number of different ethnicity npcs. Now I understand this might be because of the fact that there are more races then humans in WoW, but does that mean there aren't different ethnicities of them?

Another game was Tabula Rasa. The story was about aliens attacking the earth and only a few of the earths population escaping. Now when you boot into the game, again I could count on my hand the number of different ethnicity npcs there. I think the only non-Caucasian npc I met was a Hispanic sergeant in the starting area. Now you would think that atleast -some- of the people that escaped would be of a different ethnicity but that just doesn't seem to be the case.

These are the only two MMO's I have truly played, and maybe these two are in the minority with their npcs. But I believe that even in multi-racial games like World of Warcraft should show different ethnicities in their human races so that everyone in the growing MMO market can relate to them.

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 10:46AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Far too much is made of Ethnicity / Race in real life. I think for the most part, the "races" in MMOs sould not represent variations of real life. The oppertunity to be considered as a person with out that interfearance is what makes MMOs a truly even playing field... Ethnicly speaking.

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 1:43PM (Unverified) said

Which is exactly why everyone in MMO's should be the same bland shade of white.

Lawls.

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 6:25PM breezer said

This is just something western developers don't seem to care at all about, this kind of detail work.

Companies like Square Enix do insane amounts of research for every kind of "race" they come up, deriving specific racial features from real life human races. They map it out like, 'the eye socket structure is derived from european nordic people, the noses from south pacific islanders, the lips from such n such random native tribe from southern Peru". They take their shit very seriously, and the pay off is incredible detail, immersion and believability.

Now look at screens from Warhammer. I'll bet a million dollars it never even occurred to them to include this kind of detail in ANY part of their art design.

Posted: Apr 13th 2008 11:06AM Haohmaru said

For me, it depends on the game, and the character race being played. Some of the settings of the games we play simply don't have our real-world ethnicities. Other games' settings may have different human ethnicities, but take place in a specific region so far removed from those other cultures' homelands that travel between the two would be improbable. LOTRO's Middle-Earth mythos, for example, is based rather specifically on ancient Europe. Age of Conan's Hyborian Age takes place in a world purposely resembling Earth; there are cultures modeled after ancient Egypt, Scandinavia, the Celts, the Mongolians, ancient China, and more so it's not surprising that there are so many options available for that game.

Posted: Apr 14th 2008 2:50PM (Unverified) said

I have noticed in the various MMOs I've played that most NPCs are white (if they are human) but on the flip side I dont want the dev team adding other races simply for the sake of being "politically correct". Then you end up with an unnatural feel, like a drug commercial containing the "correct" mix of races and genders.

EVE Evolved: EVE Online vs. Elite: Dangerous