Posted: Apr 12th 2008 8:03AM (Unverified) said

I am sometimes a host at a club. I can imagine this becoming one of my duties. I could watch for red-labeled avatars, and infort them they are causing lag for everyone. I could help them figure out which attachments are the problem. On the other hand, everyone in the club my turn, point, and shout "ARC Hog!" before I have a chance to handle things civilly.
Good article. thanks.

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 8:07AM (Unverified) said

I wonder if it will become common to have events that say "No avatars over 1000ARC" or "Maximum event capacity 20,000ARC"

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 8:13AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Interesting feature. I hope that they fix the other issues, like the double tap to run horror and the damped camera and bright colours that both cause headaches and eye strain.

I am sure they will fix these things. With the patches colour scheme it would have been usable if not for the camera issues.

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 8:16AM (Unverified) said

This is keen!

Did your testing look at the same avatar with different computers -- were the numbers the same across platforms?

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 8:38AM (Unverified) said

Unfortunately, I wasn't exactly surrounded with people who were willing to run 1.20. However, one other test participant reported comparable numbers to the ones I was getting. There can be a little variation depending on camera position and whatnot - so it remains to be seen if the results are really consistent across systems and rendering settings.

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 8:30AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Ouch... 1952! I wonder why?

Looking in a populated area shows people from 110 to 3000+

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 8:37AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

I see a new game here... spot the av with the highest ARC... This one has almost 7000

A host a popular and very busy Kid club

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 12:51PM (Unverified) said

I see an ARC of 10,005 on one person!!!!!!!!

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 8:49AM (Unverified) said

The meeting yesterday with Meta Linden touched on this. She stated that it was graphics card independant. She also said high costs were associated with Alpha textures on prims & Tortured prims. Be careful if you're blinged up to the max.

I noticed that my value was 1114 and that was almost all down to my hair. And I didn't think I had that impressive a hair style..

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 9:21AM (Unverified) said

It occurs to me on reading your passing mention that the same skirt was high-ARC on one person and low-ARC on others that there's a possibility that the ARC numbers (at least as displayed by the current 1.20) are actually bollocks. I hope we don't start lynching people for having a high number over their heads before we're sure that number isn't coming out of a random-number generator... :)

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 9:22AM (Unverified) said

No, the skirt was high ARC on every avatar, though you wouldn't ordinarily think to look at it. Other, complex avatars had a lower ARC than the skirt.

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 9:36AM (Unverified) said

ah, gotcha, misreading on my part. Point still stands, albeit unsupported; ARC reported by 1.20 *might* not correlate all that well with user-experience impact. Someone should do the rigorous experiments... :)

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 9:55AM (Unverified) said

Confirmed on two different systems - the Franimation 1.6 animation overrider adds about 888ARC to an avatar body (unless attached to the HUD instead) due to the animated textures and whatnot (even if it is transparent)

Posted: Apr 19th 2008 2:27PM (Unverified) said

Good thing I have mine on my HUD. I've been to lazy to drag the scripts into something less intricate.

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 11:42AM (Unverified) said

I had some fun with this feature on the Hairspray sim, it really highlights how laggy flexi hair is.

I recommend trying it out, you can often find counts of 4000+

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 11:22AM (Unverified) said

Thanks, Tateru! This is amazing! I found I'm a 164 with not attachments to clothes. Adding only my sub collar cranks the number to over 400. Dressed farily simply with and with my simplest neko bits tosses me over 1000. Clearly, I am my own worst enemy. I can hardly wait to play with some fun avies from Wyrms and Grendel's :D

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 11:51AM (Unverified) said

@ Adz Childs 4-12-2008 @ 8:03AM:

Hmm.

I tend to tip quite a bit, and shop. As an avi I have quite a bit of discretionary income, so I consider myself a good customer for a club.

I'll have my own idea of what is an appropriate ARC number limit, and if it disagrees with yours (or your club's owner's) I'll take my business elsewhere.

Of course I'll have to consider the location overall. Phat Cats would need a different (lower count) outfit than most other clubs. Also, if I think that the build itself is making the sim (or is that the clients?) laggy, I'm not going to worry about what I'm wearing, assuming I stay at all.

@ Nuclear Trefoil 4-12-2008 @ 8:49AM:

"[Meta Linden] also said high costs were associated with Alpha textures on prims & Tortured prims."

Both of which can be on sims as well as on avis. So if I'm in a "discussion" about what I'm wearing, I should turn on "Highlight Transparent" to add to that "discussion"?

When are we going to get similar numbers for builds?

Posted: Apr 14th 2008 1:12AM (Unverified) said

@Nightbird Glineux 11:51AM

Hehe... feeling nervous?

Posted: Apr 14th 2008 3:09AM (Unverified) said

@ Adz Childs 4-14-2008 @ 1:12AM:

No, angry over the possibility of getting in an argument with some hypocrite lag-city club owner over a skirt or choker I'm wearing. If that owner is going to judge me on this number, I damn well better be able to see the ARC on his build.

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 12:00PM (Unverified) said

Wow this is great, tateru. I wouldn't mind seeing more snapshots of the attachments you tested.
A test area could be set up with a fixed camera position and pose stand.

Do you think a number like this could be made for linksets as well? Then we can really go into detail and optimize a sim.