Posted: Apr 9th 2008 12:22PM GRT said

Indeed!

(Hey, someone had to do it.)

Posted: Apr 9th 2008 2:06PM (Unverified) said

Indeed, they did!

... Aw, hell.

Posted: Apr 9th 2008 12:35PM GRT said

OK more seriously... I do essentially agree with most of your points, but I think there is a limit to how far boundaries can stretch for most of us. For instance I don't think *most* corporate lawyer gamers are going to spend a lot of time with that kid standing in front of him when they meet up in-game.

I think there are essentially different behaviors that still keep people apart. For me (I'm 48) I find most younger gamers try my patience, and I try theirs. (Not to mention the attitude I get that gaming is fine if you're 18 but somehow weird if you're 48; thought that attitude is becoming more rare all the time.)

At the same time, I'll confess to having, for much of my life, a bias against people with southern accents. For some reason I just assumed such people weren't as well educated or as cultured as I was. Then I met someone in a game, got to know and like her quite a bit. And then one day we got on vent, or maybe it was a phone call, but anyway, she had a southern accent (you knew I was going there, right?). Suffice to say we now make our home together and are very happy, and she is more educated and cultured than I'd ever hope to be.

And it does make me stop and think that if I'd heard her before I got to know her, I might've never taken the time to get to know her. My old attitude isn't something I'm proud of and I'm glad to be rid of it.

At the same time, I still shy away from XBox Live because of the many very young gamers cursing in their shrill, cracking voices whenever something goes wrong for them... so I guess I'm still biased against gamers who haven't entered puberty. :)

Posted: Apr 9th 2008 1:15PM Ghen said

To play devils advocate, sure people don't judge based on real life standards but they will judge you based on your class, level, and allegiance. There will always be discrimination, its human nature to want to feel superior.

Good article though =)

Posted: Apr 9th 2008 2:13PM (Unverified) said

Very true, there are still many criteria upon which players can base their biases. (Horde vs. Alliance comes to mind.)

Still ... The author's point is largely correct. The anonymity - or, as some might argue, the lack thereof - that is granted to players by the online worlds in which they play are a great boon for people to make connections with others they would never have reason to meet in 'real life.'

On an unrelated note: Ghen, is your user name based on the character Ghen from the 'Myst' novels?

Posted: Apr 9th 2008 2:13PM Android8675 said

Heh too many nerds in my play circle, but I am considered older, and I think it's fun to hang with the younger generation. I see a lot of people growing up in MMOs and having kids, and their kids starting to pick up the game, or playing with their parents.

It's quite fascinating... indeed!

....DAMN IT!