Posted: Apr 3rd 2008 11:46AM animagnum said

While the might not be incredible, I think the MMO movies you mentioned will at least be entertaining. I don't go to see movies with the mindset that what I am about to watch has to be the best possible incarnation of whatever genre, license, actor, or director is tied to it. The MMO movies could be total trash, but if you expect them to suck then you will most surely be disappointed. They are 21st century versions of the 80s-era cartoon shows that were designed specifically around series of toys. They aren't meant to be Scorsese.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2008 12:23PM (Unverified) said

I think Hollywood gropes towards games as film fodder because they're undeniably popular across three generations of people. The thing is, they've yet to hit on a way to make it work. But it took Hollywood years to learn to tell cohesive stories in various genres in the first place. Lots of trial and error.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2008 1:10PM Scopique said

I think they try TOO hard to apease the fanbase, really. How many people saw Transformers who were either A) too told to still be playing with the toys or B) too young to be considered a die-hard fan? The movie looked cool (LOOKED cool), so people deicded that the entertainment-to-money ratio was acceptable to them.

Part of the issue that I personally don't like is how they attempt to use the name of the game in the title of the movie. Resident Evil...really, doesn't make sense as a GAME name, let alone a MOVIE name. World of Warcraft is fine so long as it is referring to a WORLD, which cannot (and should not) be represented en toto in movie form.

As for the point of the "many in the game whittled down to one int he movie", I think this is something that people can get over, as each game is played by a singular person (many singular people, actually). The game world is seen through their eyes, and their eyes alone, so they're only really concerned with their place in the world. I don't think it's absurd to consider that these players would be adverse to sitting down to watch someone else play around for a while.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2008 1:59PM animagnum said

You make some good points, Scopique.

I often wonder how some game movies would turn out if they had all of the direct references to the games removed and the title changed. Look at movies like 300 and Doomsday. What would people think if they had been solely based on video games?

I'll try not to throw any more snowballs or tomatoes at you in Metaplace chat, Scopique.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2008 3:39PM (Unverified) said

Ha, good points, only the third one, you should not have mentioned, they will come up with a million-opology, lol....

they can make good movies out of games, just the writers are crap at it, and the directors select the wrong actors, instead of taking the hot actors, take somebody who freaking fits the role.

Also maybe hire some game geeks, as consultants.

Anyways nuf said.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2008 6:01PM (Unverified) said

I think the answer is much simpler than people think. Hollywood sees a fanbase for a game and they try to exploit that. They get a writer whom may not be familiar with the game and in doing research to write a script only does so abstractly. Therefore in the end the script ends up mediocre at best so no matter how good the actor may be you can't get past the script. You forgot to mention another adaptation, which went horrible wrong, Dungeons & Dagrons. But that one came before the game so I guess it wouldn't count. But I think Silent Hill and Resident Evil was well adapted to the big screen, storywise.

Posted: Apr 9th 2008 1:34AM (Unverified) said

im sorry but the "wow" movie is not based on the World of Warcraft game just the universe.

Posted: Apr 10th 2008 10:48PM (Unverified) said

But the game IS based on the universe of WoW so we come full circle.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014